396 will not plan a trip.

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Ceebee5f
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

396 will not plan a trip.

Post by Ceebee5f »

Hi all, can you help please, my 396 will not calculate a trip if I say yes to by pass town centre which gives the blue dot. If I say no I get the orange flag and it will calculate. If I plan the trip and then change the orange flag to a blue dot manually it says rerouting and then it calculates ok. Any ideas why it does this.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: 396 will not plan a trip.

Post by jfheath »

Hi, and welcome to the forums

I don't know the 396 but have the 590, 595 and XT.

So I can make some guesses, and you can see if they make sense to your situation.

When entering a trip - it has to have a start point and an end point. Both of these have got to be Via Points.
Any intermediate points can be set as Vias (flags) or shaping (blue circles).

If you are creating a two point trip - ie a start and an end - the XT screen has three items

Select Start Location
Add Location
Select Destination.

Typically, you start by entering the start location.

When you return to the screen above, the start has been filled in, and the 'Select Destination' has disappeared off the bottom.

So you forget and tap Add Location and try to put in the end point. If you dont set it as a destination or as a place to stop, nothing happens. You have just added an intermediate point to the route. You haven't added the final destination.

If you do it the other way round, put in the start. Then put in the end / destination, and then put a town in as a location - you get the choice to bypass the town or choose a point in the centre. And whatever you choose it will calculate the route.

----------

Nb - check this out on the 396 - but on the XT if you change a Via Point flag to a shaping point blue circle - it moves the point that you plotted to a different location and renames it. It does the same thing on the Zumo 595. But it doesn't do it on the 590.

No such problems if you change a Shaping Point to a Via Point.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Ceebee5f
Great Britain

Post by Ceebee5f »

Thanks for reply jf. Let me explain how you plan a trip on the 396, you have a green flag which is start location, you then add a location and a box comes up with Selecting a city will stop at city centre. Route without stopping instead. Box says press Yes or No, press Yes you get the 🔵 put in final destination and it will not calculate. So press No and you get orange flag which it will then calculate. So if I calculate the route without stopping it won't calculate it. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes - I understand that.

Try this instead.

Add a start as before.

Then Add a destination - do not add a location.

See what that does.

I think that the issue is that you have tried to add a start and a location, but you haven't yet added a destination. If you are creating a route you MUST have a start and a destination.

If you were intending to put in three points then start, location and then destination should work OK

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Ceebee5f
Great Britain

Post by Ceebee5f »

Thanks jf I will give it a try. And let you know.
Ceebee5f
Great Britain

Post by Ceebee5f »

Hi jf, I have tried what you said and a start plus destination works every time. It's when you add a location it will not calculate if you want to pass through the location. If you save the route when the location has a flag then go back into the route, change the flag to a dot which they call a shaping point it sometimes will recalculate. 99% of the time it doesn't.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hmmm.

Ok, time to start clutching at straws.

Have you installed other maps in your system ? check in mymaps. If you have two navigable maps that cover the same are, that will cause weird behaviour.

Check your vehicle, routing preferences and avoidances. (Try with motorcycle, faster, no avoidances).

Check you haven't set an area to avoid.

And just 'cos I have doubts about it in a couple of other situations, make sure that you allow U turns.

After that I'm struggling.

Ceebee5f
Great Britain

Post by Ceebee5f »

Hi jf you have been very helpful. The point you made about preferences rang a bell. But ironically before I read this post I went into my saved trips and checked each trip and one by one change the flag to a dot and in 99% of cases it recalculated the trip. I haven't clue what's going on. Well my last question (please bear in mind I am new to all this) is, what difference will I find in navigating to a orange flag via point, to a blue dot way point. Thanks for your help.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Put simply

An orange flag - A via point - will alert you as you approach, and when you arrive.
A blue disc -a shaping point - will remain silent.

The Zumo will always try to take you to the next point in the list - the list that you see in the Trip Planner App, and when you load a route.
As soon as you have visited one point it will start to navigate you to the next.

This is true no matter what type of point it is.

However, if you wander off route and rejoin the magenta line having missed out one or more shaping points ( blue discs), the satnav will not care. It will continue navigating you to the next point ahead.

If you miss a Via Point, the satnav will demand that you go back and visit it.

Via Points are therefore best used for key points in the route. Places that you will definitely pass through. I usually use them for coffee stops - maybe 2 or 3 in a route, excluding start and finish. The rest are shaping points - just enough points to direct the satnav to take the roads that I want to ride. Best not placed on junctions, but a way after them.

For more info see the link to the issuu site in post #1 here.

viewtopic.php?t=521

I wrote it for the 590/595, but I believe that the 396 behave in a similar way. But never having owned a 395 or 396 I cannot be certain.

Ceebee5f
Great Britain

Post by Ceebee5f »

Thanks jf for all you trouble. I will get riding again in the next two weeks, and I can play about with the sat nav to get more familiar with it. :D