Garmin XT & Tyre

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin XT & Tyre

Post by jfheath »

I looked at Tyre a long time ago and still have the installation files, so I reloaded it onto my PC - to investigate @woodyflyer's information. I hadn't bothered with that before because I was using the 660 at the time. So his contribution mentioned things that I hadn't investigated.

I'm curious because I now have a lifteime subscription for MyRouteApp which was developed from Tyre. So I wanted to see the progression - see if I have missed something on MRA.

The following information for Tyre may be useful:

Tools -> Preferences - > General Tab (click the image to see the screenshot in better quality)
Tyre Preference General.jpg
Tyre Preference General.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 756 times

I'm not sure precisely what each of these do, but these options are what I had set when I checked out the Files Tab.
Note the default setting of Garmin at the bottom.

Tools -> Preferences - > Files Tab (click the image to see the screenshot in better quality)

Tyre Preference Files.jpg
Tyre Preference Files.jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 756 times

GPX new Format only - ensures that the GPX file that is created includes both shaping points and Via points - exactly as you have entered them. If Old format is ticked, then you just get route points - no distinction between Vias and Shaping.

Use Garmin waypoints/favourites - these transfers EVERY route point into a favourite / waypoint. Now this has a big advantage in that because every route point is a favourite - whatever you named it as, the XT will not give it a new name. This is extremely useful on the XT if you have to skip a point and it tells you what the name of the next point is, To recognise it, you need it to show your name - not some name that you have never seen before. The downside is that you end up with a load of favourites in your XT, which you don't really need.

Use Route Tracks - This ensures that the GPX file that is created also contains a track that reproduces the blue curvy line on the Tyre map. This is a good idea, since the XT can show the route AND the track at the same time. And while the route may recalculate, the track stays exaclty the same. So if the route changes for whatever reason, you can see from the track where it has changed and decide which one to follow.

Route Recalculation.. The gpx file of the route should - in theory - be identical to the route that is produced in Tyre. Tyre uses all of the right commands to make it stay in place. The XT should not recalculate it. I fth eroute is every recalculated, itthe XT will work out its won route which will probably be different from that proeduced in Tyre.

To export the route simply Save as .... and select the gpx file format.

What Tyre didn't seem to acknowledge (unless it was sorted out in the professional version) is that if the maps are different, as soon as the route is loaded into the XT, it WILL recalculate it. The Tyre server is no longer available, so the maps will be different. Even the MRA app - which uses the HERE maps that Garmin uses - the routes are recalculated on loading. In fact, MRA doesn't bother transmitting the plot of the route in some of its gpx export formats - it just transmits the route points and lets the XT calculate the route between the points from scratch.

There is an option to make any point in your route a Waypoint. You can then export the waypoints separately. I don't know if this adds themt o the route file though, and cannot find out because it needs the professional version of Tyre - not the freebie version that I am using.

Once you have your route and your roue points set up as Vias or Shaping - then you can save it as a gpx file.
Make sure that you drop it into the Zumo XT->Internal Storage/GPX folder.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
steve1960
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by steve1960 »

Hav’nt had a chance to get out on the bike this morning,bit colder that i thought and it started to drizzle,but have loaded a couple of routes from home to check the route done on tyre checks out ok once on the gps unit.When planning routes i use the google earth feature on tyre,which is great as it enables you to see entrances to cafe/hotel stops ect,also i check the roads,i know some of my group aren’t to keen on some of the lanes with grass growing down the middle😁
woodyflyer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:31 pm Hi Steve

Just checked Tyre and I cant open copy or send routes from within Tyre to my XT , Ive sent an email to them and will let you know the outcome, so for the time being its the cut and paste direct to the XT
Aha….glad its not just me then😎so a possible glitch with the latest update maybe

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
steve1960
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by steve1960 »

This may sound like a numpty type question from me....but here goes anyway,what is the difference between Itinerary Files(itn) & GPX files....i am pretty sure i have always used the Itinerary files on tyre with my Zumo 660 and this XT,although once they were downloaded to my gps unit,i used to convert them to GPX files and send the route to my fellow bikers as they mostly used android phones for their navigation,but GPX seemed to be the format to use when recieving answers to my questions on this forum,i have used the GPX file format since my problem with the XT....

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'd never heard of itn files until i started looking at tyre again, so I assumed that it was a TomTom format.
I'm surprised if it loaded into the 660. But it won't be the first time I have been surprised ! Tyre doesn't include gpx in its email options, which is a shame.

I don't think Tyre is supported now, is it? there is no server connection for me.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
woodyflyer
Great Britain

Post by woodyflyer »

Regarding ITN files, they are the original file extension use by TomTom devices , the newer TomTom are able use both ITN and GPX .
In a TomTom
Gpx are used as tracks - start to end, no waypoints
ITN are used for waypoints.
This is from a TomTom rider manual.
Screenshot_20220330-215759~3.png
Screenshot_20220330-215759~3.png (235.77 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Last edited by woodyflyer on Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodyflyer
Great Britain

Post by woodyflyer »

jfheath have a look at this web page

https://www.janboersma.nl/gett/news.php

The site also contains a lot of useful information about Tyre , in the past I had an excellent response from Jan Boersma, he also has a ZumoXT , I believe he was the original developer .

Another interesting planner I use when on the road and need plan a route on my smartphone is Mappite
https://www.mappite.org
Easy to send route to the XT via Drive App , also you have several options when you export the route including adding shaping points automatically , plus you can use it to import a route , adjust, and export in a different format.
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

You guys are wasting a lot of effort.

Have your routing app generate a gpx on your smartphone. (Alternately email it to the phone) Save the gpx

Open the Gpx With Garmin Drive and have Drive send it to your Zumo XT.

Next time your Drive app connects with the XT the XT will open the Gpx and save it on the GPS

..Tom