Mounting XT as Mass Storage device on Windows

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
axil
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Mounting XT as Mass Storage device on Windows

Post by axil »

I just got a Zumo XT. When I connect it to my Windows 10 PC it gets mounted as a Media Transfer device (MTP), as opposed to a Mass Storage device (MSC) and therefore is not assigned a drive letter. Is there a way of changing this? The manual says that both modes are supported, but gives no indication of how to choose one over the other. In one of my older GPS units, maybe the 660, there was a hidden menu where you could change the mode, as well as other internal settings.

I know that I can access the storage using Basecamp or Windows Explorer, but I prefer to use other tools (based on Cygwin) to manage the data on the SD card which requires having a mount point. If it matters, I have a 64GB SD card installed in the unit and had to use the Zumo itself to format it. If I need to drop down to a Windows formatted 32GB card, I will do that since I don't really need the extra 32 GB.
axil
United States of America

Re: Mounting XT as Mass Storage device on Windows

Post by axil »

BTW I have found one hidden menu, which is entered by pressing and holding the battery icon on the main screen, but it had no obvious way to change the USB connection mode.
lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

The Garmin XT does not have a Mass Storage mode, unless maybe you have very outdated version of Windows. The manual says "Windows versions prior to Windows XP Service Pack 3 use USB mass storage mode." On my Windows 10 and Ubuntu PCs, it appears only as portable device.

There is an obscure settings menu, but it is different than the older Zumo models with a Mass Storage setting.
Turn on the Zumo, tap View Map, tap the speed indicator to reach the trip computer screen, then press and hold the speed circle until the Diagnostics Page appears. Select Configuration and Settings, then MTP Settings, then MTP Mode.
You will see options for MTP mode (the default), and something called "USB Ethernet".

I have not been able to find anything about USB Ethernet on the Garmin site or anywhere else. It is NOT Mass Storage mode and will not cause your XT to have a drive letter assigned.

One difference between the two modes that I have found:
With the Zumo turned off,
  • In MTP Auto Detect mode, the Zumo turns on when the USB cable is connected to power and will go into File Transfer mode after 20 seconds if you do not cancel it.
  • In USB Ethernet mode, the Zumo turns on when the USB cable is connected to power and does NOT go into File Transfer mode.
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Just to add to @lkraus's excellent contribution.

The XT will go into transfer mode after 20 seconds whether or not it is turned off when you connect.

I assume (but I do not know) that USB Ethernet mode will allow the XT to connect to Garmin (eg for downloads) if a Mini USB USB to RJ45 adapter is plugged into the USB port. The XT has wifi connectivity for downloading maps and updates (and sending Garmin whatever it chooses to collect). So this seems a logical option.

Something like this perhaps ?
Image2.gif
Image2.gif (9.48 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
But I repeat, I do not know. This is my assumption.

I don't like to use any automatic update facility for any device. I prefer to be in control of when devices install their latest set of errors.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
axil
United States of America

Post by axil »

Thanks, @lkraus! That is exactly the kind of menu I was thinking about.

The unit is capable of connecting as MSC, since it will do that on MACS and older Windows systems. It's a shame that Garmin has decided not to let us have that option.

@jfheathThat would be my guess, as well.