BC 4.7.4

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Re: BC 4.7.4

Post by rbentnail »

lkraus wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:36 pm
rbentnail wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:44 pm After much searching I was able to uninstall the CN NA NT 2023.1 map from Base Camp. After another day of searching to figure out that an XT unit doesn't allow map install to the computer I was able to connect my 595 and install it 2023.1 for Base Camp.
You CAN install CN NA NT to the computer using the XT.
From Express, click Map Details, Options, Install to Computer.

This worked with the last couple versions of Express and I just verified it works with Express 7.12.0.0 and BC 4.7.4. Highest level details, no "locked" messages with the XT unplugged.

Only CN NA NT can be transferred this way, the other XT maps cannot. I've read there might be a way to copy those to a USB stick and have them be recognized by Basecamp, but I've not seen a need to try that.
Maybe yes, maybe no. All I know is the last time I tried I could not. After uninstalling from Base Camp, there was no option to Install To Computer in GE/Map Details/CN NA NT 2023.1 Options when my XT was plugged in. I HAD to use my 595 to see it.

So my question is still--> does anyone know how to unlock maps in Base Camp?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

In your first post you have a screenshot, and inferred you'd tried clicking on the unlock button. What happened when you tried that? I've read other posts where with your device connected you can import the unlock codes from it. Is that what you tried?

This FAQ from Garmin may also help https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=S ... fw0EANde19

Finally, most usually use an administrator account, the same account used also to install Garmin Express and the maps and maps updates.
If you use this account to run everything on your computer, you don't get in trouble with the maps.
The problem arises if you use a different user account for BaseCamp.

Look in the folder
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Maps
you will see some files that you will not find in your user folder, C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Maps.

So, just copy the files from the folder C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Maps to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Maps
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:56 am In your first post you have a screenshot, and inferred you'd tried clicking on the unlock button. What happened when you tried that? I've read other posts where with your device connected you can import the unlock codes from it. Is that what you tried?
Yes, that what I tried first. I then get another popup that lists maps but offers no options to do anything with them. CN NA NT 2023.1 was not on that list.
sussamb wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:56 am This FAQ from Garmin may also help https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=S ... fw0EANde19

Finally, most usually use an administrator account, the same account used also to install Garmin Express and the maps and maps updates.
If you use this account to run everything on your computer, you don't get in trouble with the maps.
The problem arises if you use a different user account for BaseCamp.

Look in the folder
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Maps
you will see some files that you will not find in your user folder, C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Maps.

So, just copy the files from the folder C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Maps to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Maps
I saw the FAQ and appreciate the Admin notes. I'm using a one-person laptop so I am always signed in as Admin. I checked again to make sure.

I did finally get the 2023.1 maps unlocked. I connected my 595 and with Express went GE/Map Details/CN NA NT 2023.1 Options and Install To Computer without first doing Uninstall. Took Just a minute so I know the map wasn't re-installed. But it worked! My new XT still does NOT have an option to install to computer.

Also made other progress with the Xt and answered some of my questions along the way:

- "will the XT format an SD microcard?" Yep, it will. No computer formatting necessary. I installed a 128gb card, no problem;
- there has been some talk about the behavior or imported routes when deleted from the XT. I verified that putting routes on the SD instead of internal memory keeps the routes on the card when the route is later deleted. The route can be re-imported as many times as you'd like without transferring from BaseCamp ever again.
- I made a file on the SD called Mp3. Exactly like that spelling and capital-wise. I put 2009 songs arranged by artist folders then album subfolders then songs. The XT plays them fine. I should get the Bluetooth receiver recommended by another member later this week so I can check out audio music and turn instructions.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Well done for finding a work-around. The last time that maps wouldn't install tot he computer using Express - that is exactly what I did. Plugged int he 590 and Express then allowed it. It sounds like they may have re-introduced the same fault.
rbentnail wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:58 am - there has been some talk about the behavior or imported routes when deleted from the XT. I verified that putting routes on the SD instead of internal memory keeps the routes on the card when the route is later deleted. The route can be re-imported as many times as you'd like without transferring from BaseCamp ever again.
That is correct. When transferring routes from BAsecamp to Internal memory, the routes get stored in a file called temp.gpx. When you import the files they get copied from temp.gpx into the XT's 'working' memory. Wherever that is. Possibly in the system section of Internal Storage.
If you later transfer other routes (and the USB cable has been diconnected in the meantime), whereas the 590/595 would append the newly transferred routes to the temp.gpx, the XT deletes the old temp.gpx and creates a brand new one. So earlier transferred routes cannot be imported again.

THis problem doesn't arise if you manually put files into the Internal Storage GPX folder. eg:

* Use Basecamp to create a gpx file and put that into the GPX folder of internal storage
* Transfer from Basecamp to SD card
* Use the Share facility on the XT and some earlier models
* Send a gpx file by phone
* Place any gpx file in Internal Storage/GPX folder

None of these methods use the temp.gpx file

Doing any of the above may introduce other issues - which is OK if you know what they are and how to deal with them.

Normally, when you transfer routes to the Zumos using Basecamp, the route's gpx files are read. Any genuine Waypoints that have been used within the route are are automatically transferred and imported 'Favourites' in the XT (or 'Saved' locations if you have USA language selected). This does not happen when you transfer routes to the SD card. They have to be imported manually

However, a significant issue with the XT is if you do not already have a Favourite / Saved location in internal Storage, then when you select:
'Where To -> Favourites' (or Where To -> Saved), the XT reports 'No Data Available'.
But it may be lying. It means that it cannot find any, and that is because it hasn't looked properly.

It seems that it only looks properly if it already knows about at least one Favourite/Saved.

If this happens when you are away from a computer, then the solution is easy. View the Map and tap on it. Tap again to get a blue flag and save that point. That puts a Favourite / Saved location into Internal Storage. You will allow you to see that single favourite and it gives access to the spanner, which allows you to Import the remaining favourites.

Normally when transferring routes that contain Waypoints to internal storage, this problem never arises. That is because any Waypoints that are used in the route are automatically picked up and imported into Favourites without you having to do anything. So that means that you always have a favourite/saved location in internal storage.

Summary - Beware:

Waypoints that are not part of a route - they have to be imported manually.
Waypoints in routes that are stored on the SD card - they have to be imported manually.
Waypoints that are transferred and imported automatically as part of a route - they may not be available to re-import.

And if there isn't a favourite already stored in Internal Storage, then you cannot get to the menu to import them. Gotcha !!

You can try this for your self.

This is worth doing just so that you can see what it looks like. If this catches you out on a ride and all of your saved favourites have disappeared.... Well I don't want to be around to see the colour of the air.

Got to Where To - > Favourites -> Spanner -> Import.

Just check that there are Waypoints listed to import. Cancel that.
Select Delete, select all, and delete them all.

Now go to Spanner-> Import
It will still find the list of Waypoint wiaitng to be imported. They are still there.

Back out of that and go to the main menu.

Now Where To->Favourites. All gone. No data available.

Go to the map and tap on it a couple of times to get a blue flag. Save it to create a waypoint.
Now go to Where To ->Favourites . The list comes back and they are all available to import.

I used to recomment always saving to Internal Storage from Basecamp. But with the temp.gpx 'feature' it is not such a good idea. (Yes I have reported it, explained it and the issue has been reproduced and acknowledged).

Now I will either use the SD card or more likely, make sure that everything that I want on the XT issent to internal storage in one complete operation - thereby ensuring that the temp.gpx file has averything that I want saved in it, ready to import again, should I need it.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I didn't even think about the waypoints and Saved Places thing. First of of course I made sure the XT knew I was standing in my driveway Then I told it that was 'HOME'. Later I drag and dropped routes to the SD card and (I guess) instinctively dragged the waypoints and dropped to internal memory. They all showed up in list Saved Places menu. I'll check out your suggestion.

I haven't started on the "Everything I Need to Know About Base Camp & My XT" yet. My second screen, a very old giant crt is beginning to die so I guess I'll have to scrounge up something else.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You shouldn't have to worry about them.

And to be fair, it isn't a big issue - not until the day when you have a load of waypoints saved and. there are too many to quickly find what you want. So you delete them, knowing that they can be imported again if you need them.

Except you wont be able to, unless you know the little trick of creating a waypoint from the map.

I hadn't considered 'Home'. I never set it. I wonder if having that stored prevents this from happening ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I think it might. Home gets saved as a Saved Place so maybe that's why I didn't have a issue. I have a few Saved Places I never delete, others come and go as needed. Mostly this just unclutters things for me. Many times (today will likely be one ;) ) after meandering aimlessly for something to eat I'd just press 'Go Home' on my 595 and it would route me that way. Of course I'm always free to disregard but no matter how I go at least I always have a direct route and more importantly an ETA.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Oh, almost forgot- the XT finally shows 'Install To Computer' in Garmin Express again. At first I thought "what the heck" but I did change something. See, for the first couple days I kept opening GE looking for updates. But I finally got to enabling wifi updating and clicked on that in a menu in the XT. I certainly could be wrong but I'm guessing something I couldn't see in GE updated and now all is right again.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT