InReach Mini 2 Paired with Zumo XT - What Plan?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

InReach Mini 2 Paired with Zumo XT - What Plan?

Post by TripleThreat719 »

Just received my Inreach Mini 2 Thursday. Synced it with my Explore App, my cell phone and my Zumo XT. Currently debating which satellite communication plan to purchase. Living in Indiana, I don't ride year-round, so I was thinking of going with a Freedom Plan to allow me to suspend the subscription during November, December, January and February. Debating between the Safety Plan and the Recreation Plan.

I recently read some interesting thoughts about sending track points and getting location requests being as important as the ability to send an SOS signal. Hadn't really thought about someone's ability to (worst case scenario) find my body if the unimaginable would happen, or to find me if I am unable to initiate the SOS request and need help.

I originally thought I might opt for the safety plan, but after reading that, and considering $0.10 per track point sent, the Safety Plan could easily cost more than the Recreation Plan with its unlimited track point send every 10 minutes.

Annual cost comparison between Safety and Recreation freedom plans is about double...

$154.55 for Safety for 8 months
$314.55 for Recreation for 8 months

But then when you look at an annual plan, it ends up only being about $15 more per year to have an Annual Recreation Plan or a total of $329.35. That seems like a no brainer to gain 4 months for $15. After all, I might end up in Wisconsin on a snowmobile vacation in the winter... Be nice to just pull it out an go without having to worry, whenever an opportunity presents itself for an adventure!

Anyone care to share what they would recommend or have experience with?
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Re: InReach Mini 2 Paired with Zumo XT - What Plan?

Post by Iris »

I got the safety plan because (as I recall), the Freedom Plan wasn’t as free as I thought.
I believe you can cancel and resubscribe but not inside a 30 day time frame.
I bring my mini on bicycle rides, hikes, and motorcycle rides and I never know when I am going to spontaneously go somewhere.

The unit can track all day long, but you don’t have to send the track points. Sending each track point costs $.
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: InReach Mini 2 Paired with Zumo XT - What Plan?

Post by TripleThreat719 »

Freedom allows suspension of service, with restart at any time, but once restarted, system is active for 30 days.
Annual stays active for the entire year.

The Safety Plan charge $0.10 for every track point sent or location request. The Recreation Plan includes unlimited track point sends every 10 minutes and unlimited location requests. So... let's assume an 8 hour ride day on a 9 day trip. On the safety plan, if sending track points every 10 minutes, that's an extra $4.80 per day or $43.20 for the 9 day trip.

My thought is that if I am sending track points, and I was unable to initiate the SOS, someone (wife & brother) with access to my tracks would at least be able to direct EMS to my last known location based on the last sent track points. In the absence of those track points, EMS would have to rely on pinging my cell phone (which only works if I am in an area with a signal) to narrow the search area.

Seems like it wouldn't take too many days per year to bring you up even with the cost of the annual Recreation Plan if you are sending track points as an added safety measure in addition to just the SOS beacon.