Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Adventurous routes!

Post by Stu »

I have come to realise that this "feature" is pretty much crap!

I was at squires today for those that know it and I thought I will let the XT take me home on and "adventurous" route!

I set it with the slider one from the highest setting ie to the right

The route it used was absolutely useless and not adventurous at all!

This is the route it chose If you look carefully you will see it took me on to the A63 then though Selby then back on to the A63 :?

Why the hell would you want to go through towns? I have also seen this issue with city centres on the 590 in that it takes you directly though the centre :roll:

This is the route I would normally take and is a far more fun route to go and more adventurous

I really can't get over the fact that Garmin think its a good idea to take you through towns and cities! My tomtom rider I had many moons ago used to skirt around the outside of them!

Anyone else find this feature useless?
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Re: Adventurous routes!

Post by Scarecrow »

XT may have picked the fastest adventurous route :?:
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Stu wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:04 pm Anyone else find this feature useless?
No arguments here.

I've never done an 'Garmin adventurous' route for real, but I tried it a few times tempting it with plotting a couple of points to navigate between - taking care to include the possibility of a motorcycling classic (in my opinion anyway).

It failed to get anywhere close to it.

One day, probably in the not too distant future, I will be quite pleased to receive whatever medication the programmers must have been on when they came up with the routing software on the XT. It would be quite useful to get hold of whatever dictionary they use too. It might help me to revise my understanding of the meaning of words that they use.

eg Faster, Shorter, Adventurous, Trip, Route, Closest are some that spring to mind.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Scarecrow wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:08 am XT may have picked the fastest adventurous route :?:
I have tried changing all settings and nothing makes a difference the route is still crap but going on that the fastest would not have been that route
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

I tried it ones to see how it'll shape my routes. In a somewhat remote location it took me on a very nice twisties, then for about 15 miles on a major (highway like) than again on nice twisties. If I was making the route myself I'd find ways not to go on that piece of strait highway. There are better roads around it.
On another experiment, I made an A to B trip with adv (also all the way to the right) settings, and opened the nav's map to see what it've done. I saw that it was about to take another major road for like 10 miles connecting 2 parts where's there platy of good remote and twisted roads around it.
My guess is that if there were towns around, it wouldn't hesitate taking me there too.
The moral, don't rely on it unless you don't care much where to ride.

Like JH said, you need to smoke the crap these Garmin programmers do to understand their logic...
pcdabbler
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by pcdabbler »

I just dont trust Garmin to plot me an A to B route at all. Over the years I've had too many odd routes from it. At least three instances of through town centres. The one I most remember was in Belgium. Fastest route selected. Took me off the motorway (Freeway) and straight through the Capital, Brussels in the morning rush hour, then back onto the Motorway the other side. Not impressed. So now I use Basecamp and lots of shaping points and to make sure, whatever it tries, it will go the way I want it to !
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

That's all good and well using basecamp but what if your out and don't have access to a laptop/pc
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Stu wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:42 pm That's all good and well using basecamp but what if your out and don't have access to a laptop/pc
I'm guessing the XT works close to the same as my nuvi and 595. I use the device to pick and fine tune my desired route.

I posted a description viewtopic.php?p=10422&hilit=Destination#p10422
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

rbentnail wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:33 am
Stu wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:42 pm That's all good and well using basecamp but what if your out and don't have access to a laptop/pc
I'm guessing the XT works close to the same as my nuvi and 595. I use the device to pick and fine tune my desired route.

I posted a description viewtopic.php?p=10422&hilit=Destination#p10422
I find planning routes on the Zumo itself a pain in the rear!

That is why I use Myroute App on my mobile phone and I can then easily send them to the Zumo
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Planning a route on the Zumo is only good if in the "field" and you need quickly make a route. I've done it many times. A big drawback is that it won't let you see where you placed the last via point so you can put the next one based on it. This simple thing does exist on other Garmin devices but not on Zumo. It beats me why they don't learn to copy good bits from one device to another...