V650
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Ireland

Favourites

Post by V650 »

Hi All
Slightly confused with Favourites
My old Garmin Nuvi had a place for Favourites and only stuff that I had saved as favourites was in there

My new Zumo Xt has a favourites tab but everything seems to be in there for example
if I go / where to
Favourites it appears to have lots of locations that I added as waypoints ( I think )
If I go to trip planner and it asks where to start
I select Favourites and it only shows 1 location not all the places that it is showing in Favourites ( confused )

So My question is How do I save somewhere as a favourite but I would like only places that I have saved as a favourite to be visable there not anywhere that was a waypoint

Edit:
Ok so after a little searching
If I search for and find an address and click on the i symbol I get an option to save and Name the location
It now shows up in the favourites of the trip planner & shows up as a waypoint / green flag in Favourites in the main search page
can I just get these favourites to be the only ones in the favourites section of the main / where to page?

Many thanks in advance for any replies :-)
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Favourites

Post by sussamb »

Unfortunately not but you can create categories in Favourites so can put all 'yours' in a category so you can look through them more easily.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Favourites ARE waypoints - they are the same thing.

But note that a Waypoint is something that you either create as a Favourite using the Zumo screen, OR something that you create in Basecamp as a Waypoint using the Waypoint flag tool.

Often people refer to a waypoint as simply a point on a route. Garmin don't uses the term Waypoint to refer to a point that is created and saved for future use. Perhaps just to display on a map. Perhaps to include as part of a route. Perhaps to have just in case you might want to go there at some time. Waypoints have additional information stored with them - the most useful of which is address and phone number - so you can click on a waypoint and make a call. (eg to a hotel).

For routing, Garmin uses the term Via Point and Shaping Point. Via points appear as flags on the map. Shaping points as small blue discs.

If you have first created your points by tapping on the map and saving the location - then yes - all of those are Waypoints, which can then be added to a route - or you can build the route quickly using them. It is confusing that the XT calls them 'favourites'. If you swith the XT to USA text, it called them 'Saved', and Garmin themselves sometimes refer to them as 'Saved Locations' or 'Saved Places'.

If you are using the XT to create the route, then create a few Favourites for the key places. Make the route and then you can edit it (Shape the Route) using an on screen editor to place shaping points.

Or as @sussamb suggested , assign your favourites to different categories - you can make up your own names - which makes them easier to find. Find the waypoint you want - click it then click the (i) button (information), then the 3 bar menu and edit. Click categories, and type in something that you want - separate category names with commas if you want to add more than one.

Eg you might want to put a single favourite into categories called Wales Trip, 2021, Day 01 - which will allow you to find particular locations easily when searching for them,

If you use Basecamp, there is also a catagory facilty hidden away on one of the tabs when you open a Waypoints properties. These get transferred to the XT.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
V650
Ireland

Post by V650 »

Thank you both for your replies :-) much appreciated
Just thought I was missing something as on my older Garmin it was a lot simpler
Just something I will have to live with
I will have a look at the custom Categories and try that out see if it looks any cleaner
Again thanks for taking the time to reply :-)
J
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Which older Garmin ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
V650
Ireland

Post by V650 »

Sorry only seen your reply now
The older unit was a Nuvi 1300 still Working :-)
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

On the XT and a few slightly earlier models:

Waypoints entered into Basecamp using the flag tool will ALL become favourites.

Any other point - usually dragged and dropped into place do not normally become favourites. However, sometimes the point that you place may land on a location that is already saved in the Garmin database - in which case it will be a waypoint, and get saved in the XT as a favourite. Only waypoints will appear in the bottom left pane in Basecamp - along with the routes and tracks.

Once you have all of your points in your route, any of them can be made into either Via Points or Shaping Points. Via Points will alert as you approach and on arrival. They appear as an orange flag on the map and in the trip list. Shaping points do not alert. They are shown as small blue discs.

When you press 'Go' and you are then asked to 'Select the Next Destination', only the Via Points are given as choices. Not the Shaping Points. So that has nothing to do with the favourites or Waypoints.

When you select a Via as the next destination, the satnav treats that as a 'jumping in' point and navigates you directly to that point, disregarding any of the route that you have plotted up to that point. It then navigates the rest of the route from there.

Via Points are usually for key places that you know that you will pass through - eg coffee stops. so you may have 2 or 3 in your route. All of the rest are probably shaping points. Shaping points are a bit more forgiving if they are inaccurately placed - but I wont go into that now.

A good tip is to NEVER put your start point at the place you start the engine. Put it on the road that you want to be on once you get going - eg outside the town or a mile or two up the road. Select the start point as the next destination, and the satnav will get you there and then continue with your route.

One other comment - the XT will change the name of route points from what you entered in Basecamp - which is a bit annoying. But it never changes the name of points that were created as Waypoints with BC flag tool - ie the ones that end up in Favourites. Garmin are aware of this problem, and say that they are working on it.

All of this and more, nicely illustrated, can be found here:
viewtopic.php?t=1464

Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

V650 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:53 pm Just thought I was missing something as on my older Garmin it was a lot simpler
These units (13xx, 14xx) were used before they replaced the operating system. I still have 1490 and it's very easy to work with comparing to the new ones.
A plus for new ones is that they're faster and have more apps and options. A minus is that they're not fully tested and fully thought trough. It would be beneficial if they'd look at their other already existing units like Nuvi and Montana to incorporate some good feature into the new ones instead of developing from the scratch.