Incorrect Route when Transferred to XT

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
driverkelly
Has liked: 3 times
Australia

Incorrect Route when Transferred to XT

Post by driverkelly »

I have set a route in BaseCamp that is 288km long with a predicted timeframe of 5 hours when I send this trip to my Zumo xt it comes out as being 7.8 km long I have deleted it from the gps and resent it with the same outcome. Any suggestions please
I have just sent the same route to my older Zumo 396 and it is all correct on that so is the problem with the XT?
Last edited by jfheath on Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to describe the issue more accurately
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Incorrect Route when Transferred to XT

Post by jfheath »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

This is probably not a mapping issue, but an issue with the route or with your Basecamp set up.

When you got the milage from the XT, was this before you said Go, or after ?

Some things to check.

1 Make sure that the map that you have selected in Basecamp is identical to the map you have active in the XT
2. if you have two maps on the XT that cover the same area (eg if you have installed other maps such as OSM) Untick the one(s) that dont match the basecamp maps. (If your XT is new, or you have never installed additional maps, ignore this.)
3. In Basecamp, goto edit / options / device transfer. Untick all of the check boxes.
4. Move your start point a mile or two away from where you intend to get on the bike.
5 When you are asked to select next destination, choose your newly moved start point.

Delete the trip in the XT, and rename the trip in Basecamp. Transfer it again.
Import the trip into the XT. Note how long it takes while the XT is calculating - count the seconds.

Is the route correct now ?

If not, I need more information about the route. eg a screen shot from Basecamp, or post a gpx file of the route.
Also, how long it takes to calculate will give me a clue about what us happening.

What you describe is typical of a circular route from Basecamp that has been created with just shaping points and either the option to strip the shaping points has been ticked, or the user has selected the end point when asked to select next destination.

Please report back what you find out and whether or not this made a difference

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
driverkelly
Australia

Post by driverkelly »

Thanks mate for the reply I have done as you indicated with the check boxes in edit. The maps in BaseCamp and XT are the same. Later today I will redo the rout and install it on the XT. The strangest part of this is that it downloaded perfectly into my 396. The mileage was before pressing go. After pressing go it was the same with the shorter distance. Cheers Allen.
driverkelly
Australia

Post by driverkelly »

Your hint on making sure the maps in BaseCamp and the XT helped. It would appear that when I updated the XT’s maps it activated the demo Parkopedia & Foursquare I have un ticked them and just kept the Aust & NZ 2022.10 Here all, as well as TopoActive PS Aus/NZ ticked. Thanks for your help and advice I have made notes for myself to regularly check these. Cheers Allen.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Those two aren't really maps, they contain parking and other POI detail. The map that really should be deselected is the topo map.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

They shouldn't have made any difference. The topo map seems to add additional map detail. The fact that you noticed a difference is interesting though. I'll see if that makes a difference to a problem I'm having at the moment.

I was thinking of what happens when you install the freely available OEM maps onto an XT and have that ticked as well as the Garmin maps. But all of the stuff that comes with the Garmin can all be ticked in My Maps as far as I am aware.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
driverkelly
Australia

Post by driverkelly »

I am finding that doing those things has helped considerably I’m not sure if it was just un ticking the boxes in device transfer or un ticking those boxes in the maps of the XT but whichever, it is working as it should so I will leave it as is. I can now set a route and transfer it without any complications which suites my requirements perfectly. Do a route and then ride, I like it. Once again thanks for your assistance. Allen
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Great stuff, Allen.

When you transfer the routes and import them they should not calculate the route.
You WILL get a calculating message, but it will last a few seconds, often only 1 or 2 seconds. It is not calculating the route. It has to pick out the waypoints and put them into favourites. It also has to locate date/time information in the route so that it can arrange the routes into date order. That sort of stuff.

A route recalculation will often take 20-30 seconds per route. If you get that, then there are still things to do.