Import only Waypoints from SD card

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
slane6
Has liked: 9 times
United States of America

Import only Waypoints from SD card

Post by slane6 »

So I have some waypoints that I want to import. Have transferred them from BaseCamp to the SD card via USB cable. On my old 660 I would just to go "My Data" and choose from Routes, Tracks and Waypoints to import. "My Data" is gone on the XT and now you have to import Routes through Trip Planner and tracks through Tracks. Waypoints associated with a Route will be imported when you go through Trip Planner, but there is no way to import _just_ waypoints.
Ideas?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Import only Waypoints from SD card

Post by jfheath »

If you put Waypoints into internal memory, you don't have to import them.
They appear in Favourites (or Saved Places / Saved Locations).
Where to -> Favourites
or Where To -> Saved Places.

That is where they will appear if you put your data onto SD card as well, but you have to use the menu in the top left corner (landscape view) to import them first.

However, there is a problem. If you don't have any favourite saved in internal memory, then the ones on the Sd card will not show up. If you have this situation, then save a new dummy Saved Favourite. Tap the map. And again to get a flag on the map. Tap the flag and save it. That creates a Saved / Favourite in internal memory, and those on the SD card will then show up when you try to import them.

Favourites / Saved Location / Saved places - what they are called on yourr Zumo differs for different languages - contain only the points from basecamp that have been created as genuine waypoints. eg by using the waypoint (flag) tool. These are the points that will appear in the bottom left pane in Basecamp, along with the routes and tracks.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
slane6
United States of America

Post by slane6 »

Bingo! That got it.
Last edited by slane6 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

slane6 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:14 pm Bingo! That go it.
Oh good ! Which bit ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
slane6
United States of America

Post by slane6 »

Not having anything in Favorites / Saved Places. Put something in there and I was able to import.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It was sheer chance that I discovered that bug in the Zumo. I was trying to work out what needed to be imported and what got imported automatically. The pre-defined saved places - Garmin's headquarters for example - were messing things up. So I deleted them. Immediately some of my saved favourites disappeared.

Some other interesting snippets.

If waypoints (created with the flag tool) are used in a route created in Basecamp, you don't have to transfer them separately. The Zumo picks them out of the route itself when that is transferred.

You don't have to import Waypoints into your Saved Places / Favourites if the routes are sent to internal storage. They will be available immediately after transfer.

If transferred to SD card, any waypoint - either in the route or transferred as separate points will need to be imported.