Off route recalculation sensitivity

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Off route recalculation sensitivity

Post by Scottnet »

On a few occasions on busy/complex junctions, example A446/M6/M42 going South, I get a face full of off route recalculate message.

I actually thought I was in the correct lane at the time. I have also noticed this on a few small country lane junctions, and other motorway way junctions when I was not off route.

It's not ideal, any tips for decreasing this sensitivity?

Does anyone else experience this?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Off route recalculation sensitivity

Post by jfheath »

I wouldn't take much notice in that situation. I just look at where it is telling me to exit as I approach, and never look at it when I'm riding the junctions. There is too much else going on to look out for.

But, I have noted that the satnav speaks up too late on big junctions. 'Take the next exit ' often comes as I am passing it. I think the calculation of position is affected by the numerous bridges, high sided vehicles and the multiple changes of direction. I suspect that the high accuracy on open roads is partly due to the expectation that if you are on a particular road travelling at 70mph then your next fix a second later is bound to be around 34 yards further along. But that additional info isn't available if you are changing speed, roads and direction.

I don't think anything can be done about that. At least the XT has dispensed with the audible 'recalculating message. Mine just pops up on the top banner.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Off route recalculation sensitivity

Post by Scottnet »

I am noticing this more often. I have reported to Garmin and they are looking for more examples of the frequency of this.

Has anyone noticed when the XT recalculates for no apparent reason. This is most likely when it thinks its off route.