Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: XT not following planned route

Post by Fxwheels »

jfheath wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:20 pm
Whicheve Via point you choose from that list (it only lists Via Points) , the Zumo will get you directly to that selected point by plotting its own route. When it arrives it seamlessly tags on the remainder of your planned route and then follows the planned route from that point onwards. For this to work, effectively, you have to have a few Via Points in your route - otherwise you get a choice of the start and the finish. Nothing else (except closest entry point on the XT)
I do understand that, but I said "problematic", because if I'm somewhere off the route, but between many via points, I don't know which via point I'm closest to. So by selecting randomly from the list, most chances are either go back to vias I've already passed, or to go forward and skip some in the process.
Looking on the via points using the map you don't have a way to know which one is closest to you (at location where you are now) as there is no name or address on or near vias so you could cross-ref with the vias in your list in order to choose it... In this case the "closest entry point" will save the moment and aggravation. However I don't see this on 396.
Hope that I making it clear.

P.S.
I see 2 ways around to sort it out: 1. check the track log and backtrack on it until you find the magenta line and get on it. I'm yet to try it out. 2. Count the number of via points on the map from the start and to where you see "yourself" on the map. Then recount them in the list and go there. Just if too many of them, you can easily loose the count, and do it again... and again.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes - that is an issue. I thought the other point was worth mentioning though - others will be looking in too !

I had that issue sorted on my 590 and 595. On long tours in places not very well known to me, the last thing that I did when creating the route was to add a 3 digit mileage to the key points of the route. I'd start the trip meter at the start of the route so that I could use the mileage number to give me a clue as to where I was in the trip list.

Unfortunately, that method no longer works on the XT, as it changes my route point names when it receives. them. I lodged a fault. Garmin have acknowledged it, they know of the problem and are working on a fix. If you create the points as waypoints first and then make them as Via or Shaping points, then the XT will retain the names - but you end up with lots of Waypoints stored in Favourites or Saved locations.

The other thing is is not to have too many Via Points. My routes rarely have more than 3 Via Points plus start and finish. If you select the last Via Point that you know you have passed, (ie it is behind you) and then skip it - as soon as you are on the magenta route it will not care that you have missed out a few shaping points. It just means that the first instructions will lead you in the wrong direction so you have to know which direction you need to be heading.

The one that is really stupid is the skip facility on the edit route command. It asks if you want to skip the next Via Point or the next shaping point. And it doesn't tell you which one comes next ! It names them, but with its own names, not the ones that you assigned.

There seems to be a lack of joined up thinking on that one, with what I can only assume is as a result of programmers not using the software they are writing.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

jfheath wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:00 pm I can only assume is as a result of programmers not using the software they are writing.
Exactly right. We're the real hands-on testers. I don't know the number of complains/defects logs per issue they need in order to have it fixed in the subsequent version. 100? 1000? Duno. Some were logged long time ago, yet still not in the latest release.
toni
Belgium

Post by toni »

Fxwheels wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 pm
toni wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:42 am this was done to a zumo xt, a zumo 396 and an older one
at one point we had to leave the route for an hotel, the next day i entered "next point of entry" and we got there without any issues
hope this is helpful
You said that someone had the 396. Is the "next point of entry" available there? I haven't seen it.
sorry he s been on holliday and after that so was i but i ll ask him next week what exactly he did.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

toni wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:38 am
Fxwheels wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 pm
toni wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:42 am this was done to a zumo xt, a zumo 396 and an older one
at one point we had to leave the route for an hotel, the next day i entered "next point of entry" and we got there without any issues
hope this is helpful
You said that someone had the 396. Is the "next point of entry" available there? I haven't seen it.
sorry he s been on holliday and after that so was i but i ll ask him next week what exactly he did.
Thank you.