Zumo 550 Will Not Start Up

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Zumo 550 Will Not Start Up

Post by carolinarider09 »

Just put the 550 in the mount and nothing happened, would not start.

Have not used it for a week and was wondering if maybe I left it on some how.

Have it plugged into the computer now to see if I can charge the battery but don't remember if I can charge it using the USB connection.

Any thoughts?
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo 550 Will Not Start Up

Post by electro_handyman »

It should charge from either the USB connection, or from the mount(if it is powered).
Of course if your battery is literally toasted, the 550 most likely won't boot as long as the battery is connected internally.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Thanks. That is what I thought as well.

Well give it 24 hours and then see if the Palm Dr can make it whole again.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Try taking the battery out and leaving it out for a while.
Sorry - I cannot remember how long 'a while' was when that happened to me - but however long it was, it worked.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
carolinarider09
United States of America

jfheath wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:34 pm Try taking the battery out and leaving it out for a while.
Sorry - I cannot remember how long 'a while' was when that happened to me - but however long it was, it worked.
Yep that did it.

I sent a note to Chris Short at Palm DR asking about sending it in for repair. He sent me the following to try first.

First do a reset, momentarily press the "+" and power button at the same time, then press the power button to turn it on. If this does not work remove the battery for a minute or two, put it back in and try the power button again

I left the battery out for about two plus minutes, re-installed and pushed the power button. It started up and showed one bar on the battery. I have placed it back in the cradle, powered down but with power to the cradle to see if that will charge the batter.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

carolinarider09 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:11 pm
Yep that did it.

I left the battery out for about two plus minutes, re-installed and pushed the power button. It started up and showed one bar on the battery. I have placed it back in the cradle, powered down but with power to the cradle to see if that will charge the batter.
I don't know why it happens, but my 550 would do the same thing every once in a while. I knew that the battery was fully charged, but press the power button and nothing would happen. I just started keeping the bit to unscrew the battery right next to the security screwdriver. You just have to remove the battery for a couple of seconds and it clears whatever is wrong.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6