Increasing reduction in serviceability and reliability

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Increasing reduction in serviceability and reliability

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

Had this unit now for nearly two years. First 18 months trouble free, now the problems begin;
• Around 60-90 seconds for my PC to see the device
• Basecamp maps unable to be loaded (same as device maps)
• Latest update, total failure. “Maps successfully loaded” only to find on the device “you have no maps”
• Follow the trouble shooters and the “device can’t be added as our servers are not available”

I wonder if Garmin have been taken over? Maybe staff have been laid off in numbers
Maybe a Tomtom mole has infiltrated and is trying to kill the company from within a bit like Mozilla!
Net result is another piece of tech moves to near tech status and hours or your time are flushed away.
Anyone else seeing this?
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Increasing reduction in serviceability and reliability

Post by simoncrewe »

Are you sure that you have posted this in the correct section, as the XT only came out in March last year - that's 15 months!

As I am sure you will appreciate, new units always seem to have a few bugs & software updates during their early life, frustrating but a fact of life.
The current issue with the download of maps to the PC is a Garmin Express issue, my XT has the latest CN 2022.10 & is performing faultlessly.
The only issue that I am aware of is that the early power cable's pins were breaking - maybe I have been lucky I am still on the original cable & my unit has been fairly well behaved since I got it March 2020.
By the way I am not getting paid by Garmin :D
JohnnyRidesAlone
Great Britain

You are right Simon, I have had it 15 months. Still frustrating. My point is that all was well until the updates
JohnnyRidesAlone
Great Britain

So I am going backwards. 3 days in lots of chat files "Reset your modem, turn off virus protection. Turn off everything in your house. move to another house, get rid of everything you own"

At least I had the sense not to do this before my big tour
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

Your latest post makes me smile - I was trying to install map updates 2 days before a trip, and for some reason everything was going south - nothing was working. After trying to do it through my MacBook, and trying again to do it directly via WiFi to the unit, I realized what I was doing: making big updates RIGHT BEFORE A BIG TRIP. I stopped and put the unit away.

After I got back from my trip, the updates applied just peachy without extra effort from me. I guess I just had to wait.
JohnnyRidesAlone
Great Britain

Well day 5
Install Express re install, i got express 7.3 to see my device yesterday but nothing today. 5 online sessions with Garmin 4/5 files sent over. Rinse repeat.

I have a feeling the unit may be goinbg back
JohnnyRidesAlone
Great Britain

Update
More chat sessions ensue. Nothing about close to a month in. I called them - send it back !