map too big for Zumo? how to install on SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
hammer
United States of America

Re: map too big for Zumo? how to install on SD card

Post by hammer »

new version of Garmin Express. I installed it. then ran it and new maps available. Downloaded them (NE US only) but gets to 75% and then get error message. no maps on computer. appears to be maps on zumo. I tried installing just to computer but get same error at 75%.
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I've found MapInstall to be less than reliable. Here's the cleanest way to install the new, huge maps on the 660. Hammer, you may want to delete the failed attempts from both Garmin folders (on your zumo and its SD card), and from your computer, before doing this (make copies first, just in case).

Insert a 32GB SD card in your zumo. Connect it to your computer and wait to be sure both the zumo and card are recognized. Launch Garmin Express. It should show the new map as an update. Under Options, choose computer and device.

That's it, no need to risk fooling with regions or MapInstall.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

Another new copy of Garmin express released. I connected up zumo and and installed maps to computer only. It worked. So now i have NE US on zumo and full on computer. Danham, when i installed on zumo, the sd card was in and recognized, but it had me choose region. Should i try again now that new garmin express released? Should I delete any installed maps first? Not sure how delete failed attempts?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The new Garmin Express allows you to select computer, and/or Internal Memory or SDcard
And allows you to select regions

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

huh. I connect up zumo and went to re-install maps. it did not come up with option to install to SD card. and no option to install full map. I tried the change map option but still only option to install regional maps.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

Map currently on zumo is "Lower 49 States NE". So when try to change map, it shows this. I have 64 GB SD card in Zumo that Zumo recognizes and plays music from, and my computer recognizes it too.
Attachments
20210711_194846.jpg
20210711_194846.jpg (215.89 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

hammer wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:06 pm Another new copy of Garmin express released. I connected up zumo and and installed maps to computer only. It worked. So now i have NE US on zumo and full on computer. Danham, when i installed on zumo, the sd card was in and recognized, but it had me choose region. Should i try again now that new garmin express released? Should I delete any installed maps first? Not sure how delete failed attempts?
Now that you have the right maps installed on your computer, take a look in the 450/550 forum for a topic that I created for Faster Map Update. Take your SD card out of your GPS and put it into the computer card reader slot. Set it up so that Garmin software thinks that the SD card IS YOUR 660. Then run Mapinstall or Mapsource to load the maps onto the SD card.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

So I followed the steps in other thread. since 665 I followed the special instructions about creating map folder on SD card. moved all contents out of .system folder on sd card and deleted it. deleted the xml file from garmin folder on sd. I put sd card into zumo and started it up. went to settings/map/map info. it says maps installed are Lower 49 states NE? I thought let me try to go to place in western states. I went to change state to CA and when I pressured C it only came up with one option-CT. I tried O for Oregon but only option was OH. Oddly NO gave me North Carolina and North Dakota. strange since ND isn't on NorthEast maps. not sure what is going on.

went back and read and thought maybe I deleted the xml file too soon. It said to check it out first then delete file. so went back and copy and pasted the xml from zumo back into the sd card. still didnt work. but not sure if the xml file was altered when the files were downloaded by express and the one that I deleted is gone. not in recycle bin because it was from an SD card.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

I started over. after downloading (and express said it was full North America maps), and moving the 3 mentioned files to the "map" folder, and moving the "JCV" folder to the "Garmin" folder, the ".System" folder contains 4 files. .express, gmap3d.gma, gmap3d.imp, gmap3d.unl. It gets a little confusing what to do with these files. earlier in the instructions

* nuvi 7x5 and zumo 660 model series only **** In the \Garmin folder of the SD card, you will see an additional map file GMAP3D.img. You will also see the JCV folder which contains the new junction view file. These files can remain on the SD card and do not need to be moved to the device.

later it says.
There may be some other folders and files that were downloaded into the \.system folder of the SD card. Depending on your Garmin device, these files may include such things as the timezone map (gmaptz.img), voice recognition files or TrafficTrends database. Move these additional files back to the device's internal storage, replacing the original files and preserving the folder structure as downloaded to the card. Once you have moved these files back to the device, the .system folder on the SD card will be empty and should be deleted.

given I have 665, I had originally moved all 4 of the files to the zumo, replacing the ones that were there. I backed up the originals. is this correct thing to do?

I get notice that the map data is more than a year old and should be update. Yet it shows 2022-20, which is the map that came out about a week ago.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Try following the steps in this FAQ

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=b ... KUAt8x67J7

Note the 665 does not support the install to card by Express but it includes instructions for what to do to get around that