Zumo XT cutting off intercom

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Plainmad
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Zumo XT cutting off intercom

Post by Plainmad »

All, having a bit of an issue with my Zumo XT, Pixel 3 phone and Sena SRL intercom.
I have the phone paired to the Zumo XT which is then paired to my Sena under the phone option (as per the Sena manual) so the Zumo can pass through any phone calls etc.
I’ve also got the phone paired directly to the SRL as a second phone pairing so if I go out without the Zumo I can still take phone calls.

However I’ve got a slight issue in that as soon as my Zumo gives any form of directional instruction the intercom cuts off. It reconnects ones the Zumo has stopped talking. From my testing it appears the Zumo is transmitting as a phone call instead of a the A2DP profile. Has anyone had this issue before and any ideas on how to fix it
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Re: Zumo XT cutting off intercom

Post by Hati »

Having the same issue, yes, fix, not so much.

This was much worse before, a few firmware upgrades prior. The XT was interrupting intercom with the warning noises for speed reductions, for example, not just guiding instructions.

The only solution was/is to mute the XT.

Looking forward to a possible fix. I use a Freecom 4+, XT, iPhone 11 combination.
Plainmad
Great Britain

Post by Plainmad »

Glad it’s not just me.

Think I may have to just give up on the phone control side of it then and only allow phones calls directly to the Sena SRL.

Shame they can’t seem to get a key selling feature right
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Plainmad wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:58 pm All, having a bit of an issue with my Zumo XT, Pixel 3 phone and Sena SRL intercom.
I have the phone paired to the Zumo XT which is then paired to my Sena under the phone option (as per the Sena manual) so the Zumo can pass through any phone calls etc.
I’ve also got the phone paired directly to the SRL as a second phone pairing so if I go out without the Zumo I can still take phone calls.

However I’ve got a slight issue in that as soon as my Zumo gives any form of directional instruction the intercom cuts off. It reconnects ones the Zumo has stopped talking. From my testing it appears the Zumo is transmitting as a phone call instead of a the A2DP profile. Has anyone had this issue before and any ideas on how to fix it
I have a Sena 20s Evo and was having similar problems, so I called Sena in the UK were very helpful.
The Sena is paired to the XT as a 'headset' via the GPS pairing menu on the Sena unit. In the Sena device manager on my PC they got me to enable 'Navigation App Support' in the settings menu.
My phone is only paired to the XT & not the headset.
All seems to be working fine now.
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

I have had some weirdness with "what exactly is connecting to the Sena" with my iPhone and the XT paired up to it. Is there anything lost by simply removing all pairing between the iPhone and the Sena? Clearly I wouldn't be able to use the "Sena Utility" but that doesn't seem to have much functionality anyway, right? So I should just nuke the iphone-to-Sena pairing and let the XT be the arbiter of all audio to/from the phone?
Plainmad
Great Britain

Post by Plainmad »

So after a bit of fiddling I’ve found a way but it’s not ideal.

Phone is connected to the Zumo XT to enable drive but in the Bluetooth settings of both the phone and Zumo I disable the phone calls.
Zumo is then connected to the Sena under the GPS pairing setting.
Phone is also connected to the Sena under the first phone pairing setting.

This means that anything calls come directly to the Sena and can be answered by pressing the button on the side. Meanwhile any noise the Zumo makes is goes through the Sena and does not disconnect the intercom.

The downside of of this you can’t dial out from the Zumo or see who is calling.
Luckily this is probably quite rare for me but would be good to have.

Again the issue seems to stem that the either the Zumo is transmitting voice commands or the Sena is interpreting them as a phone call
husoi
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by husoi »

I have a similar problem.
My intercom is a V8 and connects fine.
The problem is the Bluetooth goes "silent" when there is no sound coming from the zumo. When there is some instructions what I have is
Instead of "in 400m turn left" I will have "... meters turn left."
Or "At the roundabout take 3rd exit" I have "...bout take 3rd exit"
There is an annoying gap between the zumo activating the system and when the intercom starts talking to me so I never know what the distance.
I couldn't find anywhere in zumo where I can use better settings.
On purpose I don't interface the phone with zumo.
Be happy, life is too short to worry about it.
husoi
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by husoi »

Just had a nice chat with one of Garmin's costumer service guys about the problem with the delay in the instructions.

The guy sent me an email with a set of instruction to record logs of the problems and asked me to send the logs once I have a ride and I'm able to send them.

There is a "trick" to access the developer menu but i don't think it will be wise for me to spread the word and have people coming to me because they did something they weren't supposed to.

I would suggest that instead of email users start with the webchat (usually in the help section at the bottom of a topic).
They will take longer to reply to emails without an incident reference number.
Be happy, life is too short to worry about it.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

All of my similar problems have been solved by being careful about which devices are paired and actually connected. Often the phone would find a device before the XT.
Everything needs to connect to the XT. If the phone connects to the headset, you will have problems.
Setting it up and turning it on away from the house really helps.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
saxmaniac

Post by saxmaniac »

husoi wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:18 pm I have a similar problem.
My intercom is a V8 and connects fine.
The problem is the Bluetooth goes "silent" when there is no sound coming from the zumo. When there is some instructions what I have is
Instead of "in 400m turn left" I will have "... meters turn left."
Or "At the roundabout take 3rd exit" I have "...bout take 3rd exit"
There is an annoying gap between the zumo activating the system and when the intercom starts talking to me so I never know what the distance.
I couldn't find anywhere in zumo where I can use better settings.
On purpose I don't interface the phone with zumo.
I’ve had this happen when using navigation apps on my phone, like Google maps. What is happening is the instructions are being sent over the audio (music, video) channel, instead the hands-free headset channel. Newer version of Android will fade in the music whem the audio stars.

I’m not sure why this is happening to your zumo. Possibly, because you paired your phone to the sumo as an audio device, instead as a headset. My Sena gives you the choice of either.

One workaround is to play music constantly. It can even be a silent MP3 that’s 10 hours long. That will hold the audio channel open so it never fades in. This is fine on a phone, so, perhaps you can load up your zumo with a similar file, and play that constantly.

Calimoto lets you choose which channel to broadcast on.