Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo XT not starting

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:51 am When I got my replacement it would not stay on until it had at least 4 hours charge in it with a decent charger!
My experience was similar. I don't know about the 4 hour charge; I just left in plugged into a charger overnight.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
casbar
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by casbar »

The XT needs a minimum charge to operate, when shipped the batteries are almost flat, due to carriage rules. You have to charge the thing for a few hours the first time, its actually explained online and in the manual. Unlike the other devices I've had - Garmin Nav V and VI the thing wouldn't work just on the cable.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

jfheath wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:30 am ...
My 590/595 is always flat. It has a new battery and I have fiddled with battery connectors - it either does not charge the battery or the battery doesn't hold its charge for long. Nevertheless that springs into life whenever I plug it into the wall socked USB charger - rated at 2.1A. (But it does have to go through the booting up process if it has been completely flat).
Poor battery life was part of my decision to buy an XT. I tried new 590 batteries in two years, one direct from Garmin, and they just do not hold a charge. I've even tried removing the battery and a fully charged battery will still be completely dead in a couple days.
United States of America

Post by neckstrap »

I figured it out. It does not want to run on USB power, it wants 12 volts. You have to use the motorcycle cord and connector to apply 12 volts to the clip on the rear plug. Then it starts up immediately. After it gets fully charged, it may maintain the charge with the USB connector.

Sorry, I was responding about the XT2.

Paul
Last edited by neckstrap on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome @neckstrap .

I approved your first post, but this thread was about the XT . Does your reply refer to the XT2 ?

The XT works on 5 volts no matter how it is connected - Garmin charger, USB. cable, car cradle, bike cradle.
The bike cradle has a power lead which contains a built in voltage reducer. The car power lead has a similar device built in to the plug. Attempting to apply 12v direct to the XT will probably not work out too well.

But it is true that if you try to charge the XT from the USB chord, it is not as effective as connecting it to the bike cradle with the bike power lead - which runs from the bike battery - but which had that small rectangular (cuboid) block - which knocks the voltage down to 5 volts.

The original poster, @Crisandria, has updated his first post - the problem was his low battery. It catches quite a few people out - it often requires a full day charge to bring back to life after going completely flat - which it will do if left in standby mode.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.