Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
VA3TWT
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Bluetooth Advice Needed

Post by VA3TWT »

Greetings folks;

I am considering getting the Zumo XT but being on a fixed income, I need to make sure it will do what I need it to do. I would like the XT to connect to 3 devices if possible. The order of importance are:
1) Sony XB400 or equivalent ear buds. ( I cuurently have a wired J&M headset in my helmet for my CB radio and intercom)
2) Bluetooth MP3 PLayer
3 Android cell phone.

Is the XT capable of connecting to 3 Bluetooth devices? I suppose I could put the MP3's on the XT itself and this would eliminate one device.

Please give me your thoughts and suggestion as to how I should proceed. I appreciate any and all input.

Ride safe if you're able, and stay healthy!
Gord
Zumo 595LM
2010 GL1800 Goldwing
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Re: Bluetooth Advice Needed

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

I am fairly sure the XT will not do that.

It can connect to a phone and a headset. I guess you like the ability to use your MP3 as I would suggest put your music on the Garmin and use the MP3 interface there. There may be some scope to connect your phone to the XT and your MP3 if your phone is newish (<3 years with dual BT) but that is going to be try it and see
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
ray6576
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by ray6576 »

I have a Sena 50s paired to the XT and my iPhone also and they seem to work ok. I am not sure about bluetooth headsets.
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

I have a Garmin 396... it connects via bluetooth to my Cardo Freecom 1 so that I can hear routing instructions. The cardo connects via bluetooth to my iPhone 8 has all of my music on it. I too am on a fixed income so I researched and chose my devices carefully.
Certified JB Welder
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

Just put your music on the XT or the phone and the issue is sorted :)
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

As others have said lose the MP3 and put the music on either the phone or XT
VA3TWT
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Post by VA3TWT »

If I put the MP3s on the phone and start playing them, will I still receive calls and text notifications on the GPS from the phone. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but just getting into this Bluetooth stuff. I'm from the wired generation.

Thanks again.
Gord
Zumo 595LM
2010 GL1800 Goldwing
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Yes all should work fine but bear in mind that it could interrupt music

Also some players don't always don't auto resume but it's easy to do on the XT
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Just throwing this out there for consideration.....

Haven't you been paying attention? Go back though the different sections for different devices and among the most common trait of all the different Garmin models is Bluetooth problems. It's never been right, it's never worked reliably, and it seems to be nothing but a giant PITA when anything with a Garmin name on it is involved. Garmin Corp has yet to figure out how to make it work reliably and repeatedly. Users with yrs of experience are still creating (and passing along to newbies) all the work-arounds to sometimes make it work and it seems to always come down to something like "unpair everything and try again in a different order" or "do a master reset".

Why in the world would you voluntarily step up and abuse yourself in this way? You're better off putting your mp3 in your pocket, mounting your phone on the handlebars and turning Bluetooth off in the Garmin. My experience with Garmin Bluetooth stopped long ago with a nuvi 780. Never could get it to work without fiddling with it all the time. And I still see it with a few folks I ride with. They are constantly trying to pair and re-pair to talk on the phone and talk to each other. At every stop we have more delays, more griping, and more annoyances for the people not using it.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
JohnnyRidesAlone
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

The Nuvi 7 series is 12 years old. I can understand it was a pain back then. I may be up there with you as a tech hater but the 550/660/595 and XT i have had have worked very well on BT. There are always some little things you have to watch as well as some finessing but the forum usually sorts these out
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT