How can I supress Tripadvisor data being shown at destination arrival - it's a dangerous feature

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
lkraus
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 121 times
United States of America

Re: How can I supress Tripadvisor data being shown at destination arrival - it's a dangerous feature

Post by lkraus »

If you've disabled the cell connection, the data has to be in the XT2.

The XT has a menu item at Settings>Map&Vehicle>myMaps, where the active maps can be selected. Some of them are not "maps" in the usual sense of being an image, but are just collections of points that overlay the main map.

Try looking through the XT2 settings for something similar, and uncheck everything that does not look like your main map.
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Re: How can I supress Tripadvisor data being shown at destination arrival - it's a dangerous feature

Post by DavidR »

I have just the standard Europe set loaded, which consists of 6 enteties:
  1. CN Europe NTU 2024.10 ALL South
    CN Europe NTU 2024.10 ALL North
    EU Adventure Roads & Trails 2024.10
    Europe DEM (? ?)
    TopoActive PS Lite Europe 2022.10 (Topography ?)
    CN Europe NTU 2024.10 POIs (I suspect this is the data set to target?)
However, I'm presently in Italy and dependent on the Zumo for day to day navigation. All my IT kit (I'm in IT), is in the UK and I need to be sure that I don't break the software badly enough to need a return to base as I only have a laptop with limited broadband connection here with me.

I'll fire off a specific question to Garmin support for an opinion as to the consequences of unloading the POIs.

Looking at the device through Garmin Express / Manage Maps it only shows Europe and is not divisible.

Looking at the device through Garmin Express / Map Details only the following are shown:

COMBINED CN Europe NTU 2024.10 ALL South + CN Europe NTU 2024.10 ALL North

EU Adventure Roads & Trails 2024.10

TopoActive PS Lite Europe 2022.10 (Topography ?)
DavidR
Italy

Post by DavidR »

Here's an update which gives Garmin Support's answer and a possible workaround that builds on some tests I ran partly triggered the by the very useful ideas from JFHEATH and IKRUAS (many thanks guys).

First, the Garmin Support answer:
"I've had a further look into this and unfortunately it looks like the TripAdvisor mapping which causes this information to show up cannot be disabled."
HOWEVER, here is a possible workaround that, on a small amount of testing seems to work, but I'd be interested to know if it is really a workaround or if the effect is conicidental rather than causal.

1. Clearly, the Zumo XT2 cannot be pulling data frome elsewhere - everything else (phone Tread, other maps) is turned off - so the issue is located on the device.

2. I could not initially explain why, approaching a Waypoint from one direction, Tripadvisor popped at Destination arrival, but approaching the same location from a different direction Tripadvisor did not pop at Destination arrival.

3. After rereading the ideas from JFHEATH and IKRUAS it occured to me that the Destination (though phisically the same palce, same GPS coordinates) targetted in 2. above were in fact TWO separate destinations to the XT2. The FIRST INSTANCE was entered from Garmin Search (which I think uses the onboard Tripadvisor database) from home whilst the SECOND INSTANCE was entered from an arbirtary location on the road using the Garmin Address dialogue.

4. It led me to speculate that ANY Destination targetted through reference to the Garmin Search (Tripadvisor?) dialogue would trigger Tripadvisor to pop at Destination arrival whilst ANY Destination targetted "independently" via an Address (even if the same physical location on GPS coordinates) would not trigger Tripadvisor to pop at destination.

5. I deleted all Waypoints and Routes from the XT2 and, as a test, re-entered THREE of the waypoints via their address (not using Garmin Search or Garmin History).

6. This morning, I visited all three Waypoints and Tripadvisor DID NOT POP at any Destination Arrival.

7. My working assumption is that any Destination "harvested" from Garmin Search (Tripadvisor?) data has embedded metadata which causes Tripadvisor to trigger. Conversely, f the destinaton is entered "cleanly" as an address then no metadata is attached to it and Tripadvisor does not pop.

8. This is not conclusive proof of what's going on on the device, BUT for the 3 tests I've made it works empirically whether causally linked or only coincidentally.

9. I'll be adding a few more Waypoints using this method in the comming weeks and it will be interesting to see whether or not this is a valid workaround.

I'd be interested to know whether and XT2 owners out there can replicate this test and the results.
jfheath
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 649 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

DavidR wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:19 pm
As a test, I set two destinations this morning, both of which are in my Waypoints list, via the Address process. Using the destination from the Waypoint list the Tripadvisor window pops on arrival BUT if using the destination entered via Address the Tripadvisor window does not pop.
That seems likely. If you obtained the destination by searching the built in database ......

It is not something I do very often. My first trip to Spain relied on using the Basecamp database for the location of the Parador hotels. After a long ride, first time in a foreign country, on the wrong side of the road, in a language we had only basic skills, it wasn't helpful to find the location was two miles out of position.

I always place my own points at final destinations using satellite imagery and street view so that I know it will take me to the exact spot where I can park the bike.

I used to like my 660 - but it also had problems. Slow drawing of maps. It had what looked like a 'memory leak' and often ground to a halt at the end of a long ride but would work perfectly after a reboot.

I'll see if I can replicate this behaviour on my XT
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
AugustFalcon
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by AugustFalcon »

IIRC, on some searches on my XT the results would come back with the Trip Advisor results at the top of the list and then further down would be the exact same places but not labeled as being from Trip Advisor. I think this happened when I "searched along my route" Unfortunately I'm away from home and my XT. I do have my XT2 with me and I, too, will give the theory a test since I've run into the same problem with Trip Advisor pop-ups.
DavidR
Italy

Post by DavidR »

Here is Garmin Support's considered reply which certainly increases my confidence in Garmin and its products.
Thank you for the clear, well-documented steps! I really appreciate that, I'll be sure to pass it on to the investigation I've already raised to help us try and and narrow down whatever the cause for the issue we're seeing is.

I can absolutely understand where you're coming from with the design parameter ideas, It's certainly not the experience I would expect and do apologise for this. We are looking further into the cause for this and a potential workaround or solution, so thank you for your patience with us so far
I'll keep you guys updated on progress
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidR
Italy

Post by DavidR »

Bad news on this one guys and girls, the latest software update (4.30) appears to have killed off the workaround (if it really was a workaround).

If I was of a cynical turn of mind, which I’m not, I’d suspect that Garmin engineering acted on my support request and deliberately closed the workaround so that I couldn’t escape Tripadvisor spamming!!! Probably called revenue protection.

I'm still in touch with Garmin support, but not hopeful.

Anyone want to buy a little used XT2? The 660 was a much better device.
:evil:
jures
Been liked: 1 time
Slovenia

Post by jures »

Hello my country neighbour. Same issues with my XT2. Just when approaching final destination the bloody green recommendations pop out. This is so anoying. And there is no solution for that.

Maybe this pops up only if you use ‘up ahead’ screen during navigation. I will try to switch to trip data or even weather screen just to test.

At the moment you need info most you are spammed with recommendations
jfheath
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 649 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Does adding a false end point after the real end point prevent it ?
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
DavidR
Italy

Post by DavidR »

Hi Guys, Garmin have decided that I must have a bad unit and have just shipped me a replacement.

I'll see if this replacement unit works any better.

Adding a false end point did not solve the issue and the Tripadvisor reccomendations could by 30km from where I actually was.

Unit was rebooted on various occaisions and is running 4.3 software with the latest maps.

The replacement unit is charging now so I should be able to issue an update on the new unit later this week.