Change storage location of maps

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Change storage location of maps

Post by Stu »

Is there a way to change the storage location of the maps in Basecamp?

I have a small windows laptop which I have installed Basecamp on but installing the map uses a fair amount of space

As a result I want to try and store them on a USB stick
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Change storage location of maps

Post by sussamb »

JaVaWa's GMTK program will do that for you http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Depending on the capabilities of the laptop, I would think adding a USB memory stick or SD card would be the quick & easy way to go. Normally the popup is disabled but there is somewhere in there the choice to use the stick to "speed up your computer" by using the stick in conjunction with the computer memory rather than as a media storage device. I'd have to search for it to find it (I'm not a computer technogeeky guy), somewhere in settings/control panel I'd assume. What operating system are you using? Maybe try google, hopefully something like "USB Uses for Dummies Like Russ" will come up!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

its windows 10 on the tablet its just low on storage and the 6 gig ish map could be moved elsewhere!

I don't really use it so having it just for basecamp and taking on trips for planing routes on a night is ideal as its really small

It has a slot for a micro sd card I will try and and see how it reacts to that first
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Here is what I have found when moving maps to a USB drive

it works with the tool provided above although if you remove the USB drive and re insert it basecamp doesn't seem to find the files! as a result I have installed an 8gig micro sd card in to the tablet which is enough to take the maps and will be left in all the time
Twisties
United States of America

Post by Twisties »

I have what may be a related problem, or maybe not.... Newbie so I'm not really sure what's going on.

My 396 LMT-S updated by wifi when I turned it on. Slick.

When I connected it to the pc, BC found it and copied the map file from it to a temp folder, but when I unplugged the gps maps dissappeared. Not pleased, I did some digging, found and installed Garmin Express, and installed the map to pc. All smiles.

This worked for a day or so. When I woke up this morning, however, BC no longer had the installed map, and I am back to having to plug the gps into the pc to work on my BC lessons and routes.

Reinstalling with Garmin Express, the program appears to recognize the map is current, and just re-activates it, but it stll does not appear in BC.

Where it gets similar perhaps to the OP, is that installed the map to my D drive (a 1 TB HDD), while BC is operating from the C drive ( a 256 GB SDD and boot drive).

Is there anyway to get BC to find my map?
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp doesn't copy maps from your device. What it does is index the files on first use. After that you need to plug in your device or you can copy the files to a removable drive, BC will read the files from that.

If you used Express to install the maps to your D drive then BC won't find them. I would simply reinstall the maps to your C drive then use the JaVaWa tool posted above to move them to your D drive, that will automatically link the map correctly to BC.
Twisties
United States of America

Post by Twisties »

I deleted BC, GE, and the map. Let GE handle the reinstall using all defaults. Seems to be working.
Sleuth
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Belgium

Post by Sleuth »

When installing maps, I would request custom location and manually change to the required drive.

I install my maps that way.

Bets regards
Sleuth
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT, BMW Navigator IV
Maps: Europe NTU 2024.10
Software: Basecamp (4.7.4) & Mapsource (6.16.3)
Computer: PC (Windows 11 Home)
Motorcycle: BMW R1200GSA (2020)