How to recalc route on the fly

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: How to recalc route on the fly

Post by sussamb »

All handhelds allow you to reverse a route as nothing like dual carriageways, one way streets etc are involved. Reversing a driving route can produce some very weird results which is why generally it has never been available on Garmin 'on the road' devices. You can of course easily reverse a route in BaseCamp, check it does what you want and send that to your device.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hmm - I had one that did it - I thought it was the 590, but I am mistaken - I just checked. It must have been my 660 or 550.
It did it at the trip level - the route list. It just put all of the route points in the opposite order and recalculated it from those.

Curiously - the XT, when you convert a track to what they confusingly call a 'trip' it asks you which way round you want to navigate - form the start or the end.. Since it gives spoken directions, I wondered how it was going to cope with roundabouts - but it does !!

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

sussamb wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:24 am You can of course easily reverse a route in BaseCamp, check it does what you want and send that to your device.
Yeah, I don't use the BC, but can do it in Furkot as well. The trick is to be able doing it in the unit when in the "field", not on a computer in the hotel :).
If BC and others software can do it, I don't see why Garmin can't, especially if it were already there in another unit. Maybe they aren't sure of how reliable it will be as you said. Duno.

The 1490 had also an excellent way to bring you to the closest section on the magenta line which is for some reason is not in the 396.
Sure, these are just details which you can live without or find ways around, but hey...

As a side note, sometimes I get an impression that they hired a new team of programmers (or better yet offshored it as it's done in the States) and wrote a whole new system without regarding the old one and carrying over some good'ol "things" from there.

Edit:
You can use TrackBack feature to navigate you in the reversed direction to where you started your track. !->Remember, that each time the unit is off (like if you stop for coffee and it's timed out), it will start a new track, from that location, after you turn it back on again.