Routes and Waypoints

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Topbox
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Routes and Waypoints

Post by Topbox »

Thank you very much for your re assurance.

However, it is not working like that with mine. I can import the route or routes and after reboot when I click on the favourites icon I get a message displayed of " No data available". So I have no favourites nor can I find an option to import the little devils.

What would be my next step.

Thank again.

TB
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The problem is that you have transferred them to the SD card.

That shouldn't be a problem at all, but someone in the programming department has decided not to bother looking on the sd card if there aren't any favourites in internal memory.

Answer.
Display the map. Tap on the map to get a blue flag. It may need a couple of taps. Tap on the location name that is displayed and select the option to save it.

You have just added a favourite to internal storage.

Now try to import your favourites.

Or you could just transfer one waypoint to internal storage from BC - but that needs a reconnect and a reboot.

There are two issues with waypoints / favourites on the SD card.
You need to import them manually.
You cannot import them if you dont have at least one favourite in internal storage.

(and data from the sd card always comes at the bottom of any list - not so much of an issue if you have no data in internal storage)

Use internal storage for your transfers. It saves quite a bit of hassle - especially when starting to get used to the Zumo

This same fault appears in the new XT. I reported it yesterday along with 5 other issues. I think they got a bit fed up with me - but if they tested their stuff thoroughly ......

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Topbox
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Topbox »

Thats brilliant and it worked perfectly as described. Thank you.

So just to round things off the following puzzles would be nice to solve but not essential.
  • I have an SD card in my 595. If I copy stuff into internal memory do I still need the SD card.
  • Does the 595 fill the internal memory and then put the overflow onto the SD card.
  • I have some lengthy trips in mind for next year, how many routes and how many way points can the 595 handle.
  • I didn't use internal memory before because there are some way points and routes on there that I can't sem to delete and I didn't want to fill it up and not be able to delete stuff. Today when I experimented the ones I loaded today were deleted by the 595 and base camp reflected this by only showing those that I can't delete. How would I delete these items that seem to be undeletable.
  • I'm not quite sure what you mean by blue flags method.
Once again, really appreciate your help this has been super helpful.

Regards
TB
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Not sure what 'stuff' you intend to copy so difficult to advise.

Only thing likely to use the sd card when required is a map update, Express will use the sd card automatically if required.

It's 1000 favourites and 100 routes. Note points in a route don't count against the 1000 favourites.

BaseCamp cannot delete points in the Zumos internal memory. To delete those you need to do so on the Zumo. Note before you do so delete any .gpx files in the GPX folder on your device. The reason for that is that those files are merged into your favourites list on start up, so if you don't do so any deleted favourites within those files will simply reappear.

Blue flags method is explained above, what are you struggling with?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Topbox wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:36 am Thats brilliant and it worked perfectly as described. Thank you.
That's good. I get lucky sometimes !
Topbox wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:36 am So just to round things off the following puzzles would be nice to solve but not essential.
Ok - go on.....
Topbox wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:36 am I have an SD card in my 595. If I copy stuff into internal memory do I still need the SD card.
No - but they are useful if you are thinking of playing music or adding additional maps. Things that take up a lot of memory.
Alos if you want to cover a large area with your maps, then it would be worth considering putting them onto the SD card to avoid your internal storage becoming full. Generally speaking, access to internal storage is much quicker than access to SD card memory.

Your routes and Waypoints - well they are big files, but they don't actually take up a great deal of space. I'll give you an example. I recently did a tour in Scotland - about 1000 miles. I had about 11 routes for the trip in internal memory. The routes and the waypoints - if exported to a gpx file - has 48,284 lines, but the file is 3.08 MB. My Zumo 590 has a total of 14GB to play with, of which just over 5GB is free. I could store 330 trips of the same size as my Scotland trip in Internal storage and use only one of those remaining 5GB.
The only other files in there that grow are the Archive Log files which store the active logs. Typically, one file is around 3MB, and it will keep only 20 of them before the 21st overwrites the space occupied by the 1st log file. It will vary on how much riding you do, but I would download those files every 2-3 months without losing any.
Topbox wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:36 am Does the 595 fill the internal memory and then put the overflow onto the SD card.
Not that I am aware of. I can't imagine that it would do that.
Topbox wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:36 am I have some lengthy trips in mind for next year, how many routes and how many way points can the 595 handle.
See above. Regarding physical space. I don't know about the limit of via points, shaping points and routes on a 595.
But these often relate to what you can have immediately available int he ZUmo. Not what you can put into internal storage or onto the memory card.

The routes can be in one of three places.
Transferred to the Zumo. Which means that the Zumo can get hold of them if it is told where to look.
Imported into the Zumo. That means the Zumo has taken a copy. IF it can only manage to have 10 of these, then you can delete those 10 and import some others. Then delete those and import the original 10.
Loaded to navigate. Only one route can be loaded for navigation. That may have limits on Via Points and Shaping points. But for me, a typical (max) 300 mile trip will have a start, a finish, maybe 3 or 4 Via Points for stopping places. And maybe 3 or 4 shaping points bewteen each pair of Via Points. Depending on the intricacy of the route and the road network.

Your definition of a Waypoint may be different from Garmins. A waypoint is a saved location that you may wish to have stored for future reference - possibly to include in a route. A route consists of shaping points and Via Points - some of which may have started life as Waypoints. Waypoints can contain additional information, such as an address, phone number, website address - etc.
Topbox wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:36 am I didn't use internal memory before because there are some way points and routes on there that I can't seem to delete and I didn't want to fill it up and not be able to delete stuff. Today when I experimented the ones I loaded today were deleted by the 595 and base camp reflected this by only showing those that I can't delete. How would I delete these items that seem to be undeletable.
I have one waypoint (named '001') which shows up on my Basecamp screen, but doesn't show up on the Zumo itself. But my 595 is not a genuine one - its a 590 with 595 software. It should behave in excactly the same way, but I don't know. I have always been able to delete waypoints from the ZUmo itself.
On the ZUmo, Waypoints (they are called Favourites on UK models, Saved Places or Saved Locations on some others.) - can be delete by clicking Where To->Favourites->3 bar menu -> Delete Favourites.

I don't think you can get rid of Waypoints that are stored on the SD card like that though. For that you need to connect your Zumo to the PC via the USB cable, navigate to the SD card->Garmin->GPX (Or it may be just ->GPX) and there will be a few gpx files in there that represent routes and waypoints. Delete anything that you want - one waypoint file will probably contain all of the waypoints, although there may be more than one. The route files don't give any clues as to what file contains what routes. But these can be deleted by hand too.

Now I've given you a hint - you'll probably venture into browsing the internal storage as well. Be careful in there. You could delete files that are essential. The first thing I did when I got my Zumo was to copy its entire contents to a spare hard drive.

I can tell you what each of those files do - but not at the moment - cos my 595 is currently in 590 mode !

Topbox wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:36 amI'm not quite sure what you mean by blue flags method.

Once again, really appreciate your help this has been super helpful.

Regards
TB
Blue flag.
In order to create a Favourite on the Zumo
Display the map.
Tap on the map somewhere - you may need to tap a couple of times. Wait a second or two between each tap to see if a flag appears. (ITs a white flag on a blue square background). When it does, it will display a white rectangle bottom centre with the name of the location in it. Tap that white rectangle.
The screen changes to give information about the Favourite that you have just created. Ignore that - we are not bothered. Just tap Save, and it tells you that it has been added as a favourite.

Thats all we wanted

Most welcome.
Send me a private message (top right of the forum pages) with an email address. I'll send you a document that I put together which you will find useful - for your use only.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.