Charging Issue

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Jwvessey
Great Britain

Charging Issue

Post by Jwvessey »

My Garmin Zumo XT which is on a motorcycle mount at high speeds when the engine is at higher revs cuts out charging. Charging resumes when revs drop again. It is wired into a fuzeblocks junction box however no other accessories plugged into box have the same issue.

Any experience on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Charging Issue

Post by electro_handyman »

I'd suggest you check your charging system of your bike.
Sounds like your voltage regulator may be not working properly and causing the voltage to rise above the nominal 14.4vdc upper charge voltage level.
The electronics of the XT may look at the 5vdc input and respond accordingly.
Older devices are most likely not as sensitive to voltage fluctuations.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have been having some charging issues myself just recently!

I have just bought a R1200RT and the XT does not fit so I found an adaptor to help with that! see here https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewto ... =44&t=1318

For some reason when I turned the bike on it would turn the sat nav on as normal and charge it but as soon as I hit the start button it would stop charging and the warning that its lost power would pop up and shut down!

Now if I hit cancel then it would never charge but if I left it to shut down it would fire back up then start working as it should

It then decided it didn't want to do that and would not charge at all on a recent trip so to conserve the battery I turned the screen brightness down and it worked flawlessly since! not even shutting down on start up.

Once home I checked the power supply and on the OE power supply I was getting 5.25 volts but on the adaptor I was getting 5.10 volts! I can only guess this was causing my issue

I would be checking the voltage at the mount and make sure there is enough there maybe even drop the screen brightness to test if that makes a difference :?
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Jwvessey wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:13 am My Garmin Zumo XT which is on a motorcycle mount at high speeds when the engine is at higher revs cuts out charging. Charging resumes when revs drop again.
Check the XT in the motorcycle mount. See if there is any play between the XT and the mount. It might start vibrating at certain RPM and float away from the electrical connectors.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Jayjoe
Been liked: 1 time
Malta

Post by Jayjoe »

I am having the exact same issues and I don't know if the problem is coming from the Garmin, the bike cradle (r1250gs), or the adapter. However, I have another mount similar to that of the GS on my other bike. This belonged to my Garmin Zumo 660, which also fits on the GS cradle. When I put the XT and the adapter on the other bike, I didn't have any issues.

Stu wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:33 pm I have been having some charging issues myself just recently!

I have just bought a R1200RT and the XT does not fit so I found an adaptor to help with that! see here https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewto ... =44&t=1318

For some reason when I turned the bike on it would turn the sat nav on as normal and charge it but as soon as I hit the start button it would stop charging and the warning that its lost power would pop up and shut down!

Now if I hit cancel then it would never charge but if I left it to shut down it would fire back up then start working as it should

It then decided it didn't want to do that and would not charge at all on a recent trip so to conserve the battery I turned the screen brightness down and it worked flawlessly since! not even shutting down on start up.

Once home I checked the power supply and on the OE power supply I was getting 5.25 volts but on the adaptor I was getting 5.10 volts! I can only guess this was causing my issue

I would be checking the voltage at the mount and make sure there is enough there maybe even drop the screen brightness to test if that makes a difference :?
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Jayjoe wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:54 pm I am having the exact same issues and I don't know if the problem is coming from the Garmin, the bike cradle (r1250gs), or the adapter. However, I have another mount similar to that of the GS on my other bike. This belonged to my Garmin Zumo 660, which also fits on the GS cradle. When I put the XT and the adapter on the other bike, I didn't have any issues.

Stu wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:33 pm I have been having some charging issues myself just recently!

I'm not sure what the issue is with this

I contacted the seller and he says its an issue with the XT but I'm not so sure!

I measured the amps from the adaptor and they was very little there compared to the stock charging cable

Can you compare the power output of the mounts you are using?

I have wired mine in for now
Jayjoe
Malta

Post by Jayjoe »

Today I took the XT to the local agent. At the moment they don't have another device in stock, but he should contact me when they have one in stock. At least if I try another device, I can eliminate that the issue is coming from the GPS. My next bet would be the adapter (Adapter 3D Motorrad).

I need to get this sorted before my next tour in 1 month!! If I don't manage to sort it out, I'll have to use the original cradle of the XT and eliminate the BMW cradle and adapter. This is something that I am trying to avoid as I can always use my phone with the phone adapter, in case of emergency.
Stu wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:58 pm
Jayjoe wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:54 pm I am having the exact same issues and I don't know if the problem is coming from the Garmin, the bike cradle (r1250gs), or the adapter. However, I have another mount similar to that of the GS on my other bike. This belonged to my Garmin Zumo 660, which also fits on the GS cradle. When I put the XT and the adapter on the other bike, I didn't have any issues.

I'm not sure what the issue is with this

I contacted the seller and he says its an issue with the XT but I'm not so sure!

I measured the amps from the adaptor and they was very little there compared to the stock charging cable

Can you compare the power output of the mounts you are using?

I have wired mine in for now
Jayjoe
Malta

Post by Jayjoe »

My unit was replaced and the issue seems to be solved. This is my 3rd unit! I hope it will be the last replacement!!

I have just bought a R1200RT and the XT does not fit so I found an adaptor to help with that! see here viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1318