Problem uploading routes

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
wingnit
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: Problem uploading routes

Post by wingnit »

How do you save routes to the SD card. I don't know how to change the path. Can you help me please.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Just select the card in BaseCamp instead of selecting the device.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It is difficult to be precise if you don't tell us what software you are using. The method for Basecamp and Mapsource is different.

Since Basecamp is not recommended for the 665, I will assume that you are using Mapsource.

There are three steps to being able to navigate a route.

1) Transfer the route the routes from Mapsource. This gets the route into internal memory or onto the SD card. It is stored just as a file. THe navigation system cannot load the route from that file. In Mapsource, all routes are transferred at the same time.

2) Import the Routes. The routes have to be imported before they can be navigated. Usually you can select which routes to import - I cannot remember whether this was the case on the 660, and I don't know about the 665. Whatever - before a route can be navigated, it must have been imported. Otherwise you will never see it.

3) Load the route and navigate. You can only load one route at a time to navigate.

The 660 manual reports that it can accomodate just 20 routes. The problem may be related to that.

(You may need to correct some of the above if it is not quite right - it has been a long time since I had a 660 in my hands.)

To transfer the routes on Mapsource, connect your Zumo to the USB cable and wait for it to be recognised. If you have an SD card inserted, your file explorer should show two new drive letters.

In Mapsource, make sure that the routes tab is selected in the left hand pane, and then click Transfer / Send to Device
The following dialog should be displayed.
Mapsource 2.jpg
Mapsource 2.jpg (16.81 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
Mapsource 1.jpg
Mapsource 1.jpg (21.97 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
You need to select where you want to send the data to - the Internal storage or to the SD card. The Internal Storage shows the device name and the serial number. The SD card just gives the drive letter and the name that you put on the SD card when you formatted it (if any). Otherwise it just gives the drive letter. If I hadn't lablelled my card as 'Zumo SD 32', the choice would be difficult to make. Go to File Explorer in Windows, see if you can work out which letter refers to which device.

You may only see two drive letters in your device list. (I have a 4 port USB hub attached, which is giving me the addiional letters). If your device isn't listed, click 'Find Device' to make it search again. Choose the device that you want. Make sure that the Routes check box is ticked.

I have no idea what you are doing to make just one route appear in your list. IT may be that you have filled your 20 route allocation. You may be doing something wrong. You may not be transferring any files, and because one route name matches one that has successfully transferred before, you think it has transferred just one. I don't know. I am guessing.

Work through the above. If it doesn't work, you are going to have to write down step by step what you are doing and what happens.

Oh - and please don't shout at me !!

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
wingnit
United States of America

Post by wingnit »

sussamb wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:37 am Sorry but not answering the question. What are you using to send the routes to your 665? It would also be helpful to know your work flow?

FYI Garmin don't recommend BaseCamp for use with a 665, see https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=i ... wZpVKmw7t9
I am using mapsource 99% of the time however if I use Basecamp I have the same results with either of them.
Last edited by jfheath on Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed shouting emphasis - bold, large, red text.
wingnit
United States of America

Post by wingnit »

wingnit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:50 pm
sussamb wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:37 am Sorry but not answering the question. What are you using to send the routes to your 665? It would also be helpful to know your work flow?

FYI Garmin don't recommend BaseCamp for use with a 665, see https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=i ... wZpVKmw7t9
I am using mapsource 99% of the time however if I use Basecamp I have the same results with either of them.
jfheath wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:27 am It is difficult to be precise if you don't tell us what software you are using. The method for Basecamp and Mapsource is different.

Since Basecamp is not recommended for the 665, I will assume that you are using Mapsource.

There are three steps to being able to navigate a route.

1) Transfer the route the routes from Mapsource. This gets the route into internal memory or onto the SD card. It is stored just as a file. THe navigation system cannot load the route from that file. In Mapsource, all routes are transferred at the same time.

2) Import the Routes. The routes have to be imported before they can be navigated. Usually you can select which routes to import - I cannot remember whether this was the case on the 660, and I don't know about the 665. Whatever - before a route can be navigated, it must have been imported. Otherwise you will never see it.

3) Load the route and navigate. You can only load one route at a time to navigate.

The 660 manual reports that it can accomodate just 20 routes. The problem may be related to that.

(You may need to correct some of the above if it is not quite right - it has been a long time since I had a 660 in my hands.)

To transfer the routes on Mapsource, connect your Zumo to the USB cable and wait for it to be recognised. If you have an SD card inserted, your file explorer should show two new drive letters.

In Mapsource, make sure that the routes tab is selected in the left hand pane, and then click Transfer / Send to Device
The following dialog should be displayed.

Mapsource 2.jpg Mapsource 1.jpg

You need to select where you want to send the data to - the Internal storage or to the SD card. The Internal Storage shows the device name and the serial number. The SD card just gives the drive letter and the name that you put on the SD card when you formatted it (if any). Otherwise it just gives the drive letter. If I hadn't lablelled my card as 'Zumo SD 32', the choice would be difficult to make. Go to File Explorer in Windows, see if you can work out which letter refers to which device.

You may only see two drive letters in your device list. (I have a 4 port USB hub attached, which is giving me the addiional letters). If your device isn't listed, click 'Find Device' to make it search again. Choose the device that you want. Make sure that the Routes check box is ticked.

I have no idea what you are doing to make just one route appear in your list. IT may be that you have filled your 20 route allocation. You may be doing something wrong. You may not be transferring any files, and because one route name matches one that has successfully transferred before, you think it has transferred just one. I don't know. I am guessing.

Work through the above. If it doesn't work, you are going to have to write down step by step what you are doing and what happens.

Oh - and please don't shout at me !!
Hey J
I'm Sorry I wasn't shouting at you, I'm grateful for all you have done. I did not know where to find the location to change directories. I'm glad you knew. Thanks so much J
wingnit
United States of America

Post by wingnit »

J, thanks for all your help. The stuff you type to me was so detailed. Thanks for all your time to do all that. The 665 ZUMO works quite well.
My wife has the ZUMO 660 on her goldwing but she doesn't use it like I do. Besides she follows me anyway.
Thanks so much for your time.
Tony
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

This is a somewhat old thread, but for those reading it for the first time, one quick observation.

All of these problems are very easily avoided by exporting a route or routes individually from Mapsource or Basecamp to a folder on your computer, quitting those programs, and dragging the exported routes to either internal memory on the GPS or an SD card. When you import on the 66x, the routes are recalculated and ready to go (absent any of the glitches we all know and love).

Exporting a bunch of routes one at a time is so much faster than transferring them because it all takes place locally on your computer. You don't even have to have the 66x plugged in at that point.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Whatever works best for you.

It's a perfectly good suggestion. Another way that works - and that is what is most important. As long as it works, it doesn't matter how you do it.

I have no problem exporting from Basecamp / Mapsource direct to the Zumo. It does it all in one step, rather than having to connect the USB cable for the next step, or removing the SD card and transferring to that. The transfer itself is quite speedy as it generally bundles the data into one file - but the wait for the Zumo to connect can be a bit slow.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.