Highlighted Route and vocal instructions

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Grizzly
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Ireland

Highlighted Route and vocal instructions

Post by Grizzly »

I came across a problem today. While riding home on the motorway, I was instructed to exit at junction 18, following the highlighted route, but I decided to carry on to junction 17, and that is where the problem arose. My Zumo did not recalculate the fastest route home and gave no vocal instructions on how to get there. Had I been in an area I did not know, I could have been driving around in circles. Is my device faulty or is this a software glitch, or have it on the wrong setting?
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Re: Highlighted Route and vocal instructions

Post by rbentnail »

Don't know about yours but some units allow for turning off automatic recalculation.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

As Russ suggested, you probably have auto recalculate turned off.

Was this just a 'Get me home' route entered into the satnav as you set off, or was it a planned route created in some mapping software ?

The satnav will display a white arrow on the magenta line ahead when it is issuing directions. If you get the white arrow, but no sound, you might have hit the mute button, turned the volume down or have some other issue with sound.

Make sure automatic recalculation is turned on. it will be in the Settings, navigation section. Possibly called 'Off Route Calculation' Set it to automatic. Also allow U turns.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Grizzly
Ireland

Post by Grizzly »

Thanks guys, "Off Route Calculation" was turned off. Only my third time using Garmin, so still a learning process. I will ride the same route today and see how I get on. Thank you.
jfheath
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The other setting is to set navigation to faster time or shorter distance. Faster time is often more predictable, but both can surprise.

Ignore instructions you don't fancy. It will find a new way

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Grizzly
Ireland

Post by Grizzly »

Hi guys, I rode the same this morning and went off the highlighted route, same as yesterday, and all good now, that I turned "Off Route Calculation" to automatic.
Thanks again.