Basecamp is in final version?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
groundhog719
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Basecamp is in final version?

Post by groundhog719 »

Part of a correspondence I received from Garmin product support;

"We do not have plans on releasing another version of BaseCamp due to age of software." (current version 4.7.4)
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Basecamp is in final version?

Post by electro_handyman »

Would not surprise me.
My gut tells me that they are trying to attempt the route of not having downloadable software in the near future..... and they host everything in the cloud... like Microsoft has tried to do with their "Office365".
There are other software companies also going this was as well.
At work I don't have full blown installations of programs anymore. Only appears to be small "Apps/Applets" that access the main program process located on the host server. This way when a program is updated there is only 1 installation to update, then everyone who accesses it is current.
Not saying I like it, but it's the trend I'm seeing.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

The BaseCamp development team was disbanded a few years ago. I used to be in regular contact with them and they were very sad when it ended. All that has been happening since is vital updates to cope with changes in law etc.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

A couple yrs back there was much confusion between the definitions of version updates and software development. The demise of Base Camp was predicted by many then but haven't there bee a couple version revisions since then?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, a few. Major one to deal with GDPR issues and a couple of others but these were 'fixes' rather than development.