ZUMOLOCK?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
semmyroundel
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

ZUMOLOCK?

Post by semmyroundel »

I have looked at the zumolock and the video they provide on their website shows an older Zumo.
People have mentioned that the supplied bike mount is possibly a bit iffy on rough ground, yet it appears that no one has had a XT fall off on a ride.
What the video doesn't appear to show is the zumolock adding security against the mount undoing on the road, as some have alluded to, in fact it would appear only to prevent someone pressing the release button.
My (possibly paranoid) worry isn't about the button but the lack of holding but the lack of grip the mechanism that holds the XT in position has on it.
What do you all think? Does the zumolock for the XT impart some extra security apart from anti-theft?
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: ZUMOLOCK?

Post by electro_handyman »

If anti-theft isn't your main concern, you could attach some form of a tether to the unit.
I've read of others with the same concern.
You could do a search for 'tether' in the search box and it would bring you back about 30 posts to look at and read their comments with pictures.
HarveyM
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times
Canada

Post by HarveyM »

I just bought a silicone tether to hold mine. Mine was a no name band but Ram mounts sell a 'RAM® X-Grip® Tether for Phone Mounts' that's cheap

RAM-HOL-UN7TU.jpg
RAM-HOL-UN7TU.jpg (95.86 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
semmyroundel
Great Britain

Post by semmyroundel »

HarveyM, could you post a pic of it on the bike as i can't seem to get me head around how it would fit?
Thanks.
HarveyM
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times
Canada

Post by HarveyM »

Not a problem Give me a hour or so.
P1200277.jpg
P1200277.jpg (231.78 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
P1200275.jpg
P1200275.jpg (194.76 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
P1200274.jpg
P1200274.jpg (198.41 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
P1200272.jpg
P1200272.jpg (201.4 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
semmyroundel
Great Britain

Post by semmyroundel »

HarveyM wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:10 pm Not a problem Give me a hour or so.
P1200277.jpg

P1200275.jpg

P1200274.jpg

P1200272.jpg
Got it, I understand now.
Whilst it's a cracking idea, I used those type of rubber thingies on my phone holder and I find them a pain.
As a compromise, I'll order a 3M sticky pad that tethers it to a thin lanyard, which in turn is attached to handlebars. But thanks for showing that, I'm sure others will take up that excellent idea-that's going nowhere fast.
As others have said, despite the fixing looking like it'll drop the XT at any moment, I've not found anyone to ACTUALLY say theirs dropped off.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid. The touratech, whilst excellent is too bulky for me, and too expensive!
If I do buy a ZumoLock, I will not be adding the RAM fixing knob, but instead remove handle and just tighten with an appropriate locking nut.
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

I took two 1800 mile trips last summer and the only issue I ever had with the Zumo was when I was in SUPER HEAVY rain downpours, the raindrops hitting the screen would sometimes be registered as a tap. Well, the other issue is it locked up about 3 times over the two weeks for no reason I could see. In any case, it's always been a solid fit and I've just stopped worrying about it.
kernowing
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

semmyroundel wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:47 am I have looked at the zumolock and the video they provide on their website shows an older Zumo.
People have mentioned that the supplied bike mount is possibly a bit iffy on rough ground, yet it appears that no one has had a XT fall off on a ride.
What the video doesn't appear to show is the zumolock adding security against the mount undoing on the road, as some have alluded to, in fact it would appear only to prevent someone pressing the release button.
My (possibly paranoid) worry isn't about the button but the lack of holding but the lack of grip the mechanism that holds the XT in position has on it.
What do you all think? Does the zumolock for the XT impart some extra security apart from anti-theft?
I'm not an XT user but I do watch all the videos of this lady who uses one in some pretty extreme riding!
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Roadrat102
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Roadrat102 »

Hi All
Just fitted the touratech for my XT which worked fine out of the packet but is now sticking and Ihave to manually push the cradle sides apart. have I missed something, there were no instructions.
iankim
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by iankim »

If it's sticking I would try a little lubrication. I am a fan of graphite powder.

If you want the instructions here they are. https://shop.touratech-uk.co.uk/pub/med ... 0_7412.pdf