Delete way/shape points in Saved folder?

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
rsmith3
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Delete way/shape points in Saved folder?

Post by rsmith3 »

Hi. I imported custom routes from Google myMaps to Basecamp then to my 396 and they are in my Trip Planner and look fine. However, all the individual way/shape points for those routes are also listed in my Saved folder. Is this normal? Can those be deleted from the Saved folder without affecting the routes I have in the Trip Planner? I would like to eliminate unnecessary clutter in that folder so I can find my actual saved places easier. Thanks for any help... trying to figure all this stuff out.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Delete way/shape points in Saved folder?

Post by sussamb »

Yes, you should be able to delete them without affecting the routes. Whether its normal I have no idea as I never use the method you describe and don't have that Garmin model.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Yes, it's normal. At least on both the nuvi I used and the 595 I have now. Waypoints and via points in many (not all) imported routes are copied into the Saved (or Favorites) folder as well as being used in the route for directions, POI, etc. The individual points in Saved (or Favorites) can be deleted without affecting anything else. This is one of the joys of using other peoples' routes instead of making your own. With Base Camp, TRANSFERRING just the route to your device does just the route. Waypoints have to be chosen specifically to be transferred.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
rsmith3
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by rsmith3 »

These were all from routes that I created, whether originally from myMaps or Basecamp. When I did the final transfer I dragged just the named route to my 396. I did not intentionally move any of the individual way/shape points. Some of the YouTube videos I've seen (particularly one from EZ Moto Tim) describes everything automatically being downloaded to the device with the route, which seems to be the case. Just didn't realize they would show up in Saved and the actual route in Trip Planner.

I have a nuvi 50 and a Drive 52 that I tried to install custom routes to without success. Those devices only showed routes (in the Saved folder) to the waypoints disregarding shape points. I finally gave up and purchased the 396 thinking it was better able to do what I wanted.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Most of the nuvi and Drive series work quite happily with routes, and certainly don't disregard shaping points, so not sure why you had an issue with them but welcome to the world of Zumos :)
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I cant make the necessary connections to check this answer, so it may be a bit wide of the mark for the question you asked.

When a route is transferred, it is stored in a single file, or multiple files. Depending on where you transfer them - internal memory or sd card. They are then imported and stored somewhere else in the satnav. I don't know where.

If you deleted the transferred copy, then the imported one still exists. No problem.

But if you make an edit to the imported copy on the satnav, or a change is saved by the system without you knowing (this happens in the XT, so it may happen in others), then you may need the transferred file to be there so that you can import it again. If it isn't there, then there is no way of reimporting the original route.

Also - there is a limit on the number of imported routes that some Zumo's will hold. On one of mine, it is 20. There is no such limit on the number of transferred routes. So for example, I can have 100 transferred routes in the Zumo, but only 20 imported. At any time I can delete all of my imported routes using the Zumo screen, and then import a different 20 from the 100 transferred routes.

Anyone reading this who owns an XT - the XT doesn't behave like this. It replaces all transferred routes every time a new transfer is made.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Grizzly
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Ireland

Post by Grizzly »

New to Garmin and the 396LMT. Where is the "saved folder" I have imported a route from MRA, but cannot see my waypoints, or the saved folder, any help\advice appreciated.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Any imported waypoints will be in the Saved places or favourites list, name depends on the locale used. Any routes will be in the Trips app. If nothing is showing the gpx file isnt in the correct format. Can you load it into BaseCamp?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

A Waypoint - in Garmin-speak - is a point that is created and stored separately from the route. It can be used in a route or not. It is there in case you want to use it . In Basecamp when you have a route that uses and visits Waypoints, the Waypoints are transferred and imported automatically to the Zumo. They appear in Saved Places or in Favourites. As Susamb said 'Saved Places' and 'Waypoints' are the same thing depending on which country your Zumo is set up for.

The above is true for Basecamp routes that are transferred to Internal Storage. Routes transferred to SD card, any Favourites have to be imported manually. If you don't have at least one Favourite stored in Internal Storage, The Zumo doesn't seem to bother looking on the SD card. It just tells you that there aren't any. (I have found this to be the case for the 590, 595 and the XT. I believe it is may be the case for the 39x series as well).

MRA seems to use the term 'waypoint' to mean any point on a route. ** When I last looked (yesterday) they seem to have a Beta version which (at last) makes a distinction between Garmin's Via Points and Shaping Points. But as far as I can tell, none of these appear in the Zumo as saved Waypoints. I looked inside the gpx file and they did not seem to be defined as Waypoints in the gpx file that MRA created in the same way that Garmin defines them in their GPX files. (Garmin defines the Waypoints in two different places in a route gpx file - once as a separate entry in the gpx file to give the name and location to the Zumo, and again when the same location appears within a route). The MRA file listed the 'waypoints' only once. If MRA want to make their software compaable with the Garmins, they would probably have to introduce a term that matches Garmin's use of the term 'Waypoint'. (They could easily use 'Saved Waypoint', 'Saved Place' or 'Favourite Location'.)

** Please someone correct me if I have got this wrong. I've deduced this frome a couple of test routes, that is all. And MRA have a Beta version, so it may well be something that is coming later. (written 27 July 2021)

Please don't hesitate to get back to me if any of this doesn't make sense.

My advice is to use Basecamp. It uses the same maps as the Zumo, it uses the same GPX syntax as the Zumo, it is free, it can read the contents of your Zumo.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Grizzly
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Ireland

Post by Grizzly »

Thank you for both replies I will try Basecamp, but that is another learning curve for me.