Post by Rusty Nuts »

It's one of the apps on the Zumo XT.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Using "Where I've been" information

Post by jfheath »

When you connect your Zumo to the USB port and a computer, you can access the logs as raw GPX files.

These will bo on th Zumo -> Internal Storage->GPX->Archive

The files will be numbered 1.gpx, 2.gpx etc etc. Only the last handful of files will be saved. The 590 would store the latest 20 files - after which it would delete the earliest. I haven't got that far with the XT yet, so I don't know what that does. I did read that it stores the last 6 months worth of riding.

In addition, the most recent log is stored in the previous folder on the Zumo XT ie Internal Storage->GPX in a file that is called CurrentTrackLog.gpx

This is the file that is still being written to. When the XT thinks that it is full enough, it move it to the archive folder and renames it with the next number in the sequence and starts a brand new CurrentTrackLog.gpx

These gpx files can be loaded into many map programs. I dowload mine every couple of months and save them. I use MemoryMaps with UK Ordnance Survey Maps. They provide an easy to maintain record of where I have been and when. They (the routes rather than the gpx files) are available directly from Basecamp when your Zumo is plugged in - listed as Active Logs with a date and a time.

You can use Basecamp to create a route from them automatically, but you end up with a route with a lot of shaping points.
Far better (in my opinion) to draw the track on the screen, and then create a new route and place routing points (Waypoints, Shaping Points, Via Points) to get Basecamp to produce a route that follows the same line as the track. If you use the motorcycle profile with Faster Time with no avoidances, and you use the same settings in the Zumo, it will follow the route exactly - if it needs to recalculate, it should produce a very similar that takes you throught the same points.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
b1324
Been liked: 4 times
Slovenia

Post by b1324 »

I try to do the same, but no luck. I connected my Zumo XT with USB cable, connected and opened in Basecamp. I see internal log of the device and activity log tracks (footprints icon). I have to tracks from the day I want to join (I guest they are two because I made a larger stop in sthe middle). I select them and Edit -> Advanced is disabled. I can also select them, right click and the Open. The new window shows and there is Join selected tracks button but it is also disabled... Why can't I join my tracks?
maddscot
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by maddscot »

Any special place on the Garmin XT to do this? Or do you have to use Live Tracking?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The XT uses Media Transfer Protocol to talk to the computer.

This means that the computer can receive information from the XT
It can write information to the XT
But it cannot alter anything on the XT that is already there.

It safeguards the XT from the problem of the connected USB device from not being 'ejected' by the computer before the cable is disconnected. This is normally required because writing to a USB device involves caching the data and then writing it in one chunk when the computer feels like it. Unplugging the cable could mean that some data has not been written to the XT. MTP safeguards against that happening.

(Something like that anyway !).

So if you want to work with tracks / active logs. Create a folder and a list folder in your BAsecamp database to store them, and drag them from Internal Storage and drop them into the 'List' that you have created. Work on the copies. You'll find everything becomes available.

I prefer to access the currenttracklog.gpx and the archive logs. Each log files contains a considerable number of tracks.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
b1324
Been liked: 4 times
Slovenia

Post by b1324 »

I tried the suggested way and I confirm that it works! I joined two tracks with no problem at all. Thanks for your help. I still got a lot to learn :)
mike_walker
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by mike_walker »

Hi - quick question about these automatically created tracks - is it possible to get them to appear in Garmin Explore or is the only way to access them to plug the XT into your pc and access them via Basecamp (or downloading the actual file)?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

mike_walker wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:44 pm Hi - quick question about these automatically created tracks - is it possible to get them to appear in Garmin Explore or is the only way to access them to plug the XT into your pc and access them via Basecamp (or downloading the actual file)?
Yes - it is possible to access them from Explore - just using the XT. No need to go through Basecamp if you don't want. Once saved, it appears in your Explore web page without doing anything else.

To access and save a recorded track on the XT:
Main Menu -> Track -> Track & Pin icon top left (if in landscape mode).

Over on the right there are two tabs - one is a circle with an arrow. The one underneath is a block pattern. Click the block pattern.
This shows all of the Active logs by date and distance. Clicking on one will show you the track on a preview map, which is handy.

When you have identified the ones that you want to save, on the preview map is a spanner - top left. Save Track.
Do as many sections as you want.

This saves a copy in the area that is sync'd with Explore. If you go back to the main menu, Where To -> Explore ->Tracks your newly saved tracks will appear in the list. And once sync'd they appear in the explore website.

mike_walker
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by mike_walker »

That's great, thanks. Shame it can't upload them automatically - or at least bulk upload rather than one by one. Probably easier to plug and copy if it's more than a couple of tracks. Don't know why but the syncing is taking forever...