Weather Radar not "Playing" when loading

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Re: Weather Radar not "Playing" when loading

Post by cr0100 »

Fallguy67 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:50 pm Must be a glitch in last firmware update.

Make sure let them know it’s not just you!
I called them, was on hold for about 4 minutes, and got to a technician.

As soon as I mentioned the issue, he said "I think I've seen that case open already" ... he navigated to the case and added me as one more distressed customer interested in a resolution to the issue.

As he is not one of the programmers, he could only throw out guesses as to both why it's broken and whether or not it will be fixed soon, but at least I'm assured that it is a "known issue". That's a start!
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

Well done sir.
cr0100
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

I've got a few epic road trips coming up in August... fingers crossed this is fixed by then but I'm certainly not holding my breath!
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

I'm sure I'm probably wrong, but my gut says it wouldn't surprise me if the radar loop(when moving) was specifically disabled as it leads to distracted driving... and there is enough of that already that goes on. Just my .02
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

electro_handyman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:06 am I'm sure I'm probably wrong, but my gut says it wouldn't surprise me if the radar loop(when moving) was specifically disabled as it leads to distracted driving... and there is enough of that already that goes on. Just my .02
That is very possible and did occur to me as a possibility.
cr0100
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

electro_handyman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:06 am I'm sure I'm probably wrong, but my gut says it wouldn't surprise me if the radar loop(when moving) was specifically disabled as it leads to distracted driving... and there is enough of that already that goes on. Just my .02
I thought of that, too. The stereo in my car won't scroll informational lines (song title, artist, album title) if the car isn't stopped with the parking brake engaged. That's why I bought an $8 jumper which tells the stereo: "Yup! Parking brake is engaged" so I can get those details while in motion.

If Garmin comes back and says "that's the way it is" I will be royally annoyed. Many other features, such as going into "Smart Notifications" they will prompt you "don't read this while driving" with a pair of buttons: "Cancel / Passenger" - so of course you tap "Passenger" and get on with it. I'd like to think they could absolve themselves of responsibility much the same way by saying "don't animate this if you're the driver" "ok, I'm not the driver". :-)
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

cr0100 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:30 pm Now I am beginning to doubt my original answer!

Next time we have rain nearby, I'll jump in the car and test this out again. I was pretty sure I've done this while in motion, but maybe it was an older firmware and they've updated the code to keep us safer (boooooo!).
Btw you don't need rain 5o see if the. Animation is working. The time will change with each frame if it is animating the images.

..Tom
cr0100
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

That's good to know - thank you!

I was apparently "added to the ticket" by Garmin but I've seen no email notifications. Should I have gotten any sort of email?
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

I have been out in a road trip but finally got a chance to chat with Garmin about the weather Radar. It sounded like they are aware and are working in a fix.

..Tom
cr0100
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

I'm hitting the road on 8/3 and every morning I'm powering up the Zumo and checking for updates... I guess I'll muddle through without animated radar. :-(