map too big for Zumo? how to install on SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: map too big for Zumo? how to install on SD card

Post by sussamb »

As per my link above Express can't install maps to the sd card on a 665. As for junction view yes, neither MapInstall or BaseCamp do anything other than send the map, but didn't think the 665 had junction views?
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

hammer wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:40 pm I did do that. Uninstalled map, basecamp, map install. Deleted core service files. Then ran express and had it install everything. I may try again.

Earlier danham said express installed map on sd card. Is that correct with 665? Or is mapinstall only way to get full maps on a 665? With mapinstall I've read you lose junction view.
I'm surprised to hear that Express won't install on an SD card in a 665. It definitely will on my 660. But here's another possibility: I got the "not enough room" error the first few times I tried. I had to reformat the card and quit Express, then restart it to get it all to work.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

I don't know about junction view. It shows a full view of signs and lanes at certain times. Thought that was junction view?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

danham wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:54 pm I'm surprised to hear that Express won't install on an SD card in a 665. It definitely will on my 660. But here's another possibility: I got the "not enough room" error the first few times I tried. I had to reformat the card and quit Express, then restart it to get it all to work.
-dan
Yep, see the Garmin FAQ I posted above
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

hammer wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:55 pm I don't know about junction view. It shows a full view of signs and lanes at certain times. Thought that was junction view?
Sounds like it :D
2KmHighMark
United States of America

Post by 2KmHighMark »

Following along here, I have the exact same problem Hammer does and I'm a retired Sr Software Engineer. Obviously I am using the same instruction set Hammer is; his instruction quotes are verbatim to mine. Tried all the permutations I can think of, no joy yet. There's 2 glaring problems - 1- they have increased the map dB size to greater than the very limited resident memory of the Zumo 665, while providing no good choices to reduce the installed map size to install it on the resident memory. 2. They have failed to provide device recognition of the SD card as the home for any maps, or have their OS point to the extended (SD) memory to use it as extended resident memory. In the past I have always found workarounds for their glaringly buggy software. It's a mystery to me how anyone w/o my technical background can be a Garmin user. Glad I never worked in their shop. I have been a Garmin user since before the govt turned off Selective Availability in May 2000. I'll keep at it until I get this solved. Meanwhile I am totally PO'd they broke Mapsource. I WILL NOT use that POS Basecamp.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

If you figure anything out, please let me know.

yep, Garmin software terrible. I remember many years ago when I bought the 665 and was using, badly, Mapsource. I could go online to mapquest and put in start and end points, then drag the route to where I wanted it to be. done. with mapsource it was 10x more difficult. shaping points?? then shut of rerouting cause if you got of course, there goes your preferred route. And lets not forget the bluetooth. It seems to require BOTH profiles to be used or it crashes. which makes it hard to use with my sena setup. I remember writing in detail in old forums on this. I think danham that I see here was in those bluetooth threads. without good software and easy to use map routing, it is really no better than using my android phone, which is waterproof, pairs easily with headset and screen better and easier to see in sunlight. surprised google hasn't put some kind of routing into maps? maybe they have and I'm just not aware.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well for both of you, BaseCamp allows rubber banding of routes and most devices do have Express both recognise and install maps seamlessly to the sd card. Unfortunately you have one of the few older models that won't work fully with Express but the link I posted allows users to get around this. Why it's not working for you I have no idea.

Also note MapSource will work with any Garmin device that can be set to mass storage mode. Tge only model where that isn't possible is the XT. Having said that I've used BaseCamp for many years and wouldn't ever return to MapSource
2KmHighMark
United States of America

Post by 2KmHighMark »

I took the easy way out and had Short Tronics in MN upgrade my memory to 16Gb. He was quick, did a good job, checked for other issues. My speaker had failed, wasn't aware as I always use external audio output. Short also installed the latest NA map saving me the trouble. Short Tronics gets an A grade from here. BTW I also upgraded my sunshade to a better, bigger one attached by Velcro, from wingstuff. Easier to see the screen in sunlight now. The 665 has a dimmer screen than the 550 does; a good sunshade esp on a motorcycle is needed.

Couldn't find any "mass storage" or any mode option selection, even in the hidden diagnostics window - though I quit looking after a few minutes - if you have a path to that option, share it plz. Garmin Express does enable installing maps on the 665, however not directly but with a kludge - provided there is enough resident memory or you use a subset - but it will not recognize the SD card as the location for the maps regardless if it's big enough. If there's a kludge to fix that I haven't found it. I stopped looking as I said above: I have a soln now.

I understood - years ago - Mapsource had memory leaks and support was discontinued and it was EOL'd. It was easy to use to create, edit, load routes and download tracks and analyze & export them to other aps. Little of that functionality was retained in Basecamp and it's anything but intuitive; has functions I don't want and doesn't have the ones I do that were in Mapsource. POS product IMHO. Though I tried to learn and adopt to it. Went to another product - Myrouteapp - which is a poor replacement for Mapsource. I stopped looking for something that could replace Mapsource and in fact stopped pre-planning routes for trips where I AM THE RIDE LEADER which made me lose much of the reason for a GPS. Routes created by Myrouteapp, loaded into the ZUMO would become vaporware and disappear while I was following the route I created and was leading a group motorcycle ride. Which would turn into an embarrasment for me and a nuisance as I would have to improvise the lost route while watching the road and controlling my ride and supervising / supporting the group riders - bad distraction. And that is with re-routing turned off. Not pleased with the Garmin software shop AT ALL. They get a D-. As an analyst, DBA, programmer, and Sr Support Engr, glad I never worked for Garmin before retiring.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you're struggling with BaseCamp then there is a good tutorial here https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/

Many of us use it without issue, I've done so for around 10 years.

There is no fix for those devices where installation by Express to a sd card doesn't work, it's device and not Express limited. The solution is as already posted, install a portion to the device, and the remainder to the card using BaseCamp or MapInstall.

Setting a device to mass storage mode is relatively simple, since you've accessed the hidden menu it should be easy enough to find.