regretting buying the zumo xt

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
pangasuis
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Re: regretting buying the zumo xt

Post by pangasuis »

ye express now allows u to install map from an XT i just did it and now i have the same map on my pc/basecamp :D
pangasuis
Great Britain

Post by pangasuis »

ok so iv been having an issue from new with my XT that sometimes its like im pressing the screen but im not pressing anthing and it will jump to another screen, its called ghosting.

so i managed to record this happening on my phone and send this to garmin and they told me to send it back for them to replace.

also the last time i was out it told me to take the next right onto the A6850, 6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850,6850, :twisted: so i pulled over and turned the unit off and back on again to stop this. :roll:

[media]https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zb4eug1noqmg ... 0.mp4?dl=0[/media]
moto-m
Has liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by moto-m »

Oh Dear - I got rid of my Zumo 396LMT-S because it did this very same thing - and not just the one time.
I bought the ZumoXT thinking that the 396 was a rogue unit - perhaps I was wrong - I do hope not.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sometimes these untis require a hard reset. By that I mean a full power-off and restart. To turn the unti off, hold the power button down for a few seconds until you get the screen asking "Turn off the device ?" and the option "Cancel" and "Off". Choose Off. Leave it a few seconds and then turn it on again and let it reboot.

This may sound odd, but it can happen with computer stuff. If you interrupt a program while it is in the process of doing something - one of those somethings might be tidying up - eg marking certain parts of the memory that it has been accessing as being 'occupied'. You then start doing something else, and because memory isn't marked as occupied, it can get overwritten. That sort of thing.

A more common issue is programs not freeing up memory after they have finishedw with it - or you interrupting a sequence before it can free up memory. (Called a Memory Leak)

Don't quote me on the detail of that - because I really don't know if that is a feasible explanation on these devices. But something along those lines may explain why a system re-boot makes such issues go away.

The Zumos seem to have a boot up process which tidies up things that have happened in the last session. - eg restoring files that have been deleted such as temp.gpx. Occasionally, I have noticed that in such situations a second full 'cold start' is required before things stabilise.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
pangasuis
Great Britain

Post by pangasuis »

when i was talking to support he told me to start by :

1. Start with the device turned off and unplugged from power
2.To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, press and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device
3. Power on the device
4. When the first copyright screen appears press and hold the lower right-hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
5. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when "Erase all user data?" appears
6. Touch Yes

ok so this didnt work for me and we had been talking for so long that it was time for the support guy to go so he told me that we can carry the chat on by email and i could then also send the video that i recorded of the problem to him by email.

i went on utube and found a video of another way to "Erase all user data" and it worked the other way and i updated my device and went threw all options ect..

anyway the next day after garmin watched the video they told me to return the device.