Waypoints vs Shaping Points for route design

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Sightseer99
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Waypoints vs Shaping Points for route design

Post by Sightseer99 »

So, I'm using Basecamp to create several routes for a road trip using my Zumo XT. I'm trying to understand how it all works...

What are the issues/trade-offs for using waypoints created with the Basecamp waypoint tool as intermediate points (via points) in a route instead of using shaping points?

One advantage of using waypoints is that after import, they show up on the device map and are included in the SAVED list, even if tagged as "don't alert upon arrival".

One disadvantage of using waypoints is that there is a limit (of about 27) per route. I'm guessing there is no practical limit on shaping points.

Anything else?

Thanks for any insight.

(Moderator Comment - the limit it 31 Via Points per route, of which 2 will be the start and finish Via Points.) Any more than that, and the XT will split the route into two or more separate routes with route #1 ending with the Same Via Point that #2 begins with.)
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Re: Waypoints vs Shaping Points for route design

Post by sussamb »

Correct, no practical limit on shaping posts. I've been told by those who should know that the limit is 125 between viapoints.

As to the advantage of one over the other if you miss a shaping point your device doesn't mind, but if you miss a viapoint you will keep getting directed back unless you take action to skip the point, so I don't use viapoints unless I know I must visit them, eg a lunch or fuel stop.