Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: XT not following planned route

Post by TripleThreat719 »

Turn auto-recalculate off on the XT.
Create the planned path in Basecamp.
Export the GPX file.
Send the GPX file to the XT (I text the GPX file to myself, open it, and then send it to the Explore app on my phone. When the XT and my phone are near each other and paired, the file will then appear on the XT).
The individual tracks are all in a collection on the XT and the entire collection can be displayed on the screen of the XT (unfortunately you don't have individual track control within a collection - the entire collection is on or off - meaning if there are multiple tracks in the collection, they are all displayed).

However, you can also use Trip Planner to convert an individual track to a Trip.
Tell Trip Planner to navigate the trip.
It will give you spoken turn-by-turn directions, and with auto-recalculate turned off, it will follow your intended path exactly.

I use it very frequently when attending dual sport rides, which often include off-road sections. It follows the intended path exactly, stopping turn-by-turn spoken directions whenever leaving a known roadway (you just follow the line on the screen when that happens), and the turn-by-turn spoken directions resume when you return to known roadways.

After you use it a while, this will all become fairly easy to navigate and takes very little time. It's incredibly convenient, especially when sharing tracks with multiple users, as it eliminates any need for cables.
moto-m
Great Britain

Post by moto-m »

Thanks that's a great idea.
I'll definitely try that system of converting a track into a trip.

Mike
moto-m
Great Britain

Post by moto-m »

With ref. to what you said sussamb - how do I load a route and a track and get them both to show on the XT?
TripleThreat719
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

If you import the GPX file into a collection, you can choose to have the collection displayed on the screen, or not. Again, every track in the collection, and all of the waypoints of that collection, will display on the screen if you have the collection visible. Within a collection with multiple tracks, you can convert an individual track into a trip, and then navigate the trip with the trip planner app.

By doing this, you will have the track displayed, in whatever color the track is set to, and you will have a magenta "trip" line. The magenta "trip" line should sit right on top of the track, unless there is some type of deviation in the way the track was converted to a trip (which I have never had happen).

Again, you want to make sure that recalculation is turned off. Otherwise, if you accidentally deviate from the trip/track, the XT will recalculate the trip ignoring all of the shaping points from the track that it was created from, and will instead utilize whatever routing preferences your XT is set to. You would be able to tell that this happened, because the track would now be visible anyplace the "trip" deviated from the original track.

Hope that makes sense...
Last edited by TripleThreat719 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moto-m
Great Britain

Post by moto-m »

Thanks TripleThreat719 - I think that I understand that.
I will give it a go next time using this technic and see what happens - really useful to know.

Mike
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

moto-m wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:28 am With ref. to what you said sussamb - how do I load a route and a track and get them both to show on the XT?
Sorry I don't have an XT, maybe someone who has can explain.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

There are a number of reasons why the Zumo XT will change your route. The suggestions above are all valid, but I don't think that they hit the spot in your case.

@rbentnail's reason for using lots of shaping points may be due to the very out of date mapping that he has in North Carolina - the Zumo navigating him down roads that have not existed for many years. But it is technique that works for him, and the reason for shaping points is that they are much more 'forgiving' ie if you miss one of them, the satnav will continue navigation if you rejoin the plotted route after the missed points. Not so with Via Points. They insist that you visit them. Unless you 'skip' the point.

The difference between a via and a shaping point in Basecamp is that a Shaping Point is shown as 'does not alert on arrival'.

So what causes the route to recalculate ?

1. The map on the Zumo is different from the map on Basecamp.
2. The setting in Basecamp Edit -> Options -> Device Transfer are set to encourage it. Untick all of the check boxes.
3. Make sure Basecamp routes use the Motorcycle profile, and that is set to Fastest time. No avoidances. ****
4. Make sure that you set your Zumo is set to Motorcycle and that it too is set to no avoidances.
5. Make sure XT is set to allow U turns.

If you Skip any point in a route, the entire route will be recalculated. It will still visit your route points in turn, but the route between will recalculate. However, if you choose points carefully and have settings as above, it shouldn't make a great deal of difference.

The most likely explanation is to do with how you start your route. A number of possible explanations.

1 When you selected Go ! it asks you to select your next destination. If you chose the end point of your route, then that will allow the satnav to work out its own way to the end and it will ignore your intermediate points.
2 If you selected the start point and the start was close to where you expected to be when you set off, the chances are that you didn't actually visit that point, and it spent the rest of the ride trying to take you back there.
3 If you selected closest entry point and you had U turns disabled, theres a random chance that your Zumo was thinking it was facing the wrong direction, and worked out the closest entry by starting off in completely the wrong direction.

You will read the above and will not be able to admit that you did any of these - because what you thought was happening is nothing like what the XT was actually doing. eg you will have the magenta line stretching away in front of you. It won't enter your head that the magenta line is actually the route going in the opposite direction to the way you are travelling.

Really.

I'll send you an email address by private message. If you send me a copy of your track - the route that you actually rode, and a copy of the gpx file of the route you planned, I can work out what happened.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
moto-m
Great Britain

Post by moto-m »

Hi jfheath

Yes ok - I am certainly willing to send these to you.
Thanks.

Mike
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

PM Sent
- Click Private Messages , top right corner.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fennellg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Fennellg »

Re: Problems with routes
Edit Report Quote
Post by Fennellg » 30 Apr 2021 09:54

There are 2 ways to get routes to stay on route. 1. Use Google MY Maps to make a route. Export to KMZ format. It’s now a track. Open Base Camp. Import the KMZ file. Right click and convert it from a track to a route. It stays pinned down. Tracks have a lot of shaping points. There are only 2 waypoints. The start and end. You can add extra in BaseCamp but be advised, if you skip one it will cause trouble, trying to make you go back to the waypoint you skipped. I avoid using them.

Now if you turn off your recalculate on your GPS and you go off route you can simply go towards the purple line and rejoin your route. Just like the old 550.

You can achieve the same thing in BaseCamp but I find Google My Maps easier to use and share / work on routes with others.