map too big for Zumo? how to install on SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
hammer
United States of America

map too big for Zumo? how to install on SD card

Post by hammer »

was user of zumoforums. haven't been riding much and therefore not using zumo. But I had issue and found this forum. 1st post here. I just was updating my 665 to NA 2022.10 map using Garmin Express. This is first time I recall being asked what section of map to install as the Zumo didn't have enough room for all of USA. I selected NorthEast and also to install on computer. I didn't have SD card in zumo. I then found one and formatted and installed. SD does show up when connect zumo to computer. From what I read, I was to use MapInstall to install the map to the SD card. But when I open Mapinstall, it says that my map is locked? I opened basecamp and when I go to map management, the map shows unlocked. Somewhere it said to open mapinstall as admin, but that didn't do anything. I then thought maybe try to reinstall maps using garmin express when the SD card is installed. But it still said not enough room. I then reinstalled map to computer. But nothing changed, map still shows as locked and can't install on zumo SD card. Any help would be appreciated. And if I get the map on SD card, not even sure how to get the zumo to use it if traveling outside of Northeast region?
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Re: map too big for Zumo? how to install on SD card

Post by carolinarider09 »

I am not at a place where I can look up what I use to do to make this work on my 665. But I did send my 665 off to the Palm DR and got a 16GB chip installed and the issue no longer exists. Well worth the money and removes the issue of map file size.

Again, not an immediate help for you but just one more option.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Your zumo will simply read the map on the card along with the map installed internally. It works automatically, no need for you to do anything
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

Ok, but how do i get it on sd card?
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

hammer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:31 pm Ok, but how do i get it on sd card?
Install the map on the PC. Then run Mapinstall and you should be able to select which pieces of the map to install and select where to install them.

I have read that you can do this same thing using MapSource, but I have never tried that.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

Thanks for reply, but in my original post I stated that mapinstall would not work. Says map locked evethough basecamp says map unlocked. Mapsource also didn't work.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

There is apparently an issue with the current version of Express. You could wait for Garmin to resolve it or download an earlier version of Express.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

so the faulty express is causing my maps to be locked? Or is express supposed to let me directly install onto SD card and not have to use mapinstall?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No, Express can't install the rest of the map directly to your device. You could also try this.

First, ensure in File Explorer that hidden files and system files are displayed. Attach your device via USB. Open Basecamp

Go to Maps -> Manage Map Products -> Unlock Regions -> Import.

Browse to the <Device Drive Letter>/Garmin/. Opposite the File Name Box select "Unlock Code Files (*.gma) from the dropdown and find the file named "gmapprom.gma". (Its file date should match that of the date you updated your maps.) Click "Open".

Map should then be unlocked.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

no luck. after doing the first part, when I go to manage maps in basecamp, it shows cnna NT 2022.1 unlocked in C drive and now also shows cnna NT 2011.1 not lockable in e:\system\gmapprom.img. (e drive is the zumo) but when I hit install maps, which open map install, the pop up shows : the following map products are locked - cnna NT 2022.1. Before you can select and use maps from these products, you need an unlock code. click on the button below to input an unlock code or to obtain a new unlock code. of note I have another very old map for a previous garmin gps that I never got lifetime maps for and it behaves in same way-shows unlocked in basecamp manage map products, but when open install maps (map install) it says it is locked.