595LM Won't connect to computer

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Stonker
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

595LM Won't connect to computer

Post by Stonker »

I did a map update last week on my 595LM that looks to have failed. The device is telling me that it has no map data and now won't connect to the computer/express. The 'tower' icon appears on the screen but then dissapears and the device seems to disconnect to Express doesn't see it.

Ever since new the device has sometimes not booted when mounted on my motorcycle and never seems to have held any charge off the bike so I dod suspect the battery but don't know if that is the problem.

I contacted Garmin today, their solution is pay them £126.32 for an exchange device which I thought was pretty dissapointing without any attempt at fixing the issue.

Has anybody got a better idea?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: 595LM Won't connect to computer

Post by rbentnail »

My 595LM sometimes does this, and it's all because of the dismal battery power. The device will not turn on, even when plugged into a reputable power supply, if it thinks the battery is completely dead. Try this- open the back door, unplug & replug the battery. That sometimes helps. Read this thread and perform the modification if you're comfortable with doing it. It helps for a little while too. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Stonker
Great Britain

Post by Stonker »

I have tried the disconnecting the battery and left it out overnight but it's the same. I'll check the link, thanks
Stonker
Great Britain

Post by Stonker »

Bizarrely I have just noticed that my memory card is missing. I can only assume it fell out while messing about with the battery. Would this prevent it from connecting to my laptop?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

It shouldn't, no.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Berrowbiking
Great Britain

Post by Berrowbiking »

Hi, I have a number of routes planned on Basecamp for transfer to my Zumo 595LM but for some reason the Zumo is not being recognised at all by the Surface Pro 7.

I have tried plugging in the cable direct into the Surface Pro 7 USB port and via a dock. Its worked fine before with transfer and even updating the Zumo mapping and software over a 2 hour period.

The data lead is the original Garmin one and I have tried an alterative as well. There was approximately 75% charge in the Zumo battery. I've also tried another Surface Pro but with the same result. My old Nuvi 2599 connects and updates immediately. Help !!
Berrowbiking
Great Britain

Post by Berrowbiking »

Hi, any help please re my query above?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Has the Zumo changed transfer modes

Three options are available

Mass Storage - where you get a drive letter for internal memory and the Sd card
MTP - Media Transfer Protocol, where the Zumo appears as a device
Auto - which is supposed to detect what it us trying to connect to.

Also, sometimes the USB. connection to the Zumo can be a little loose. Try supporting the cable in a position that works.

Battery can be charged in the bike cradle or car cradle.

Check the battery connections in the white connector. Try a friends battery.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
charlesjsprice
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by charlesjsprice »

I get the same issue now. The 595 did connect last week to do the latest map update. But before this it only was recognised once and now solemnly refuses to connect with a new Garmin micro usb cable, even jiggling it around. My old 660 connects all OK having over come the issues of connecting Zumo’s to the HP Spectre series laptop. Also tried powered USB hub. Note the Garmin cable connects to a USB C to normal USB to connect to the laptop. Oh and set to mass storage device on hidden settings.
Any thoughts anyone?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Clutching at straws but when all else fails...

Make sure windows isn't running other software that connects by USB eg Garmin Express.
You might need to load task manager - ctrl - alt - del to end tasks. Express usually leaves a task running in the background. Shut it down.

Cold start your Zumo

Make sure you are connected direct to the PC USB socket, not to a USB hub.

And a really serious clutch at straws is to reset your xt to factory settings - but it is what Garmin will ask you to do if you contact them.

Sorry I can't tell you how to do the above - I'm away from my 595 at present.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.