GPX Files to XT?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Paderu
Belgium

Re: GPX Files to XT?

Post by Paderu »

Thank you Auke54. This was very helpfull!
Are you also familiar with Open street maps?
auke54
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times
Netherlands

Post by auke54 »

Cool, no problem, glad to be of some help.

And, no, I do not have any experience in OSM.

Cheers!
XT (SystemSoftware 6.30)
auke54
Netherlands

Post by auke54 »

Update!

Garmin Drive for IOS is back in business. The issue in my recent post has been solved! :D
XT (SystemSoftware 6.30)
auke54
Netherlands

Post by auke54 »

A remark concerning Route to Explore:

The shared route, which can contain all the knowledge about stops and shapingpoints, is being stripped down. Only the routepoints get stored in Explore making it a 'direct route'. For a lot of people who design route's in BaseCamp this can be unacceptable.

Just to know!
XT (SystemSoftware 6.30)
jskene
United States of America

Post by jskene »

I wondered what happened to my route shaping points.

I've tried using Explore to import various winding road routes from Calimoto, Myroute, Rever and Basecamp to no avail. They all ended up just routing me directly to the end point a hundred meters from the start point. This make Explore unusable for me, and it was one of the selling points for me in buying the XT.

Is there any way to preserve shaping points, like editing the gpx file or running the gpx file through another program before uploading it to the XT?

Also, why would Garmin design Explore to do this? It seems counterintuitive to its purpose.
auke54
Netherlands

Post by auke54 »

Hey,

Well, let's say Explore needs some sharpening with route handling. I myself filed a Garmin support request but did not get a reply yet.

There are two possible roads to travel.
Starting point: XT System Software version 6.20

First:
When you insist on using Explore:
Convert the designed route to track and sync it to Explore.The winding road will be preserved that way. In the XT |WhereTo | Explore you can convert the track to trip again and start this from the trip planner. The downside here is that you wil not receive any info in the route guidance about the via(way)points that you put in the original route. The only thing left is let them show up in the map screen.
To make that happen just sync them separately to Explore and 'show' the collection in the map screen(it' a setting for map layers, explore collections, I think).

The other:
Just sync the route to XT using Garmin Drive or the old-school cable. It will be imported, including Via- and ShapingPoints, into the tripplanner.

Good luck!
XT (SystemSoftware 6.30)
jskene
United States of America

Post by jskene »

Thanks, auke54. I'll give that a go. I didn't like the way Explore worked anyway.

On an iPhone it's easy to email myself the gpx file and send it to Drive.
raiser72
United States of America

Post by raiser72 »

Thanks for the pointers above...
What worked for me, entirely on Android, using Zumo XT with current software updates.

First go to Google play store, download both Garmin Explore and Garmin Drive.

1. Connect Drive to the Zumo XT via Bluetooth.
2. Open Garmin Explore, import your GPX file (or create one in the app).
3. Select the Share option from within your Garmin Explore route.
4. Select the Garmin Drive app as the share destination.

Garmin Drive will instantly and automatically sync the route to the Zumo if it is connected. On the Zumo you can load the route by selecting "track" then choosing the "pin to pin" icon in the upper left. It will allow you to choose to run the route selected forward or reverse.

No computer was necessary. But damn, this was cumbersome (using two different Garmin apps) and not well documented or easy to figure out.