Zumo XT : Active Log deletion

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
h2opixels
Great Britain

Zumo XT : Active Log deletion

Post by h2opixels »

Evening all,

Using a Zumo XT with Basecamp with OSX.

Once the Zumo XT appears under Basecamp 'My Garmin Devices', the list of tracks and 'Active Log(s)' appears in the lower left pane.

How are you clearing down the unwanted Active Log entries?

In Basecamp, when selecting any one Active Log entry :
1) the 'Delete' option under the Edit menu item is greyed out
2) right-button click on any item that is to be deleted, and there is no option to delete
On the XT device itself, I cannot find a way of deleting these (and retaining Tracks).

For comparison purposes, if I attach a Garmin GPSMAP 86i, I can in Basecamp:
1) select an activity log, then delete it using the Edit > Delete option
2) right-click on any one item and delete the activity log
On the 86i device itself, I can delete activities by going to :
Main Menu > Recorded Activities > 'select the activity from the list' > Enter > Menu > select Delete (and confirm)

Any tips/hints greatly appreciated,
Thanks David
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT : Active Log deletion

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp cannot delete or edit data on any On the road devices as their data is handled differently to On the trail devices, on those you can edit the data.

To delete data etc on your Zumo you have to use the menus on the Zumo
h2opixels
Great Britain

Post by h2opixels »

Ok, on Basecamp cannot delete data on the Road devices.

Can somebody give me a step by guide for how to delete specific log items from a Zumo XT device (using the XT device natively, BUT retaining the saved Tracks)?

Thanks
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:40 am BaseCamp cannot delete or edit data on any On the road devices as their data is handled differently to On the trail devices, on those you can edit the data.

To delete data etc on your Zumo you have to use the menus on the Zumo
Though if you have data in a memory card, for example a route, then you can edit that data in Basecamp
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ah true ..
h2opixels
Great Britain

Post by h2opixels »

Installed Android File Transfer (AFT) for mac and nice and simple to clear down unwanted GPX tracks from the XT👍

Do need to make sure only one app is connected to the Zumo XT at any one point in time (AFT or Basecamp).

To my mind, it’s still inconsistent that Basecamp can publish GPX tracks to the Zumo XT, but it’s not allowed to delete them 😆
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

It's because of the way On the road devices handle data. Data you send is placed in the GPX folder and then merged with data in inaccessible internal memory that BaseCamp cannot access, but your device can.
pangasuis
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by pangasuis »

im runnning W10 and its been annoying me for awhile that i cant delete these Active Log entry files in base camp when i plug in my XT that are in my internal storage.

iv finally done it and they are now gone from base camp.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Active logs are stored in the gpx folder of internal storeage in the filename CurrentTrackLog.gpx

When that becomes too large, it is given a number eg 1.gpx, 2.gpx, etc and moved to the Archive folder in the same place. Tha archive folder will keep the last 20 or so of these files and delete earlier ones. (Not sure of the exact number on the XT)

You can delete them from within windows, but they keep a very good history of your rides dates, times, speeds, elevation. I like to keep this stuff, so I make copies to my hard drive every couple of months.

There are options on the XT screen to stop these logs from showing as a light blue track on the map.
There is an option not to record them at all.

But if you have them on, new ones will keep appearing in that Basecamp window. They dont bother me.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BashStreetKid
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by BashStreetKid »

jfheath wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:01 pm ....................

There are options on the XT screen to stop these logs from showing as a light blue track on the map.

Can anyone kindly tell me where this 'toggle' control (for the light blue lines) is buried?

I 'discovered' it, purely by chance and switched it off thinking I was doing something else - now, I cannot re-find it to swicth back on :-(

TIA and apologies for the slight topic swerve.