Thank you Breezly ... That was it.

I owe you a beer
Himself
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Average Speed Zone

Post by Himself »

Made me smile ... The one stand out feature the XT doesn't have it seems is the Average Speed Zones, and the Safety Camera warnings are better on the "other brand"

https://fliesonthevisor.com/garmin-zumo ... rider-550/
MakoShark2
Been liked: 5 times
Portugal

Re: Average Speed Zone

Post by MakoShark2 »

Useful post and a comparison between the Rider 550 and the Zumo XT.

I've used +10 years a Urban Rider which was (and actually still is) a wonderful unit.

Last year the Urban Rider was looking rather old and decided to move for the latest Tomtom Rider as it was also a bit lower priced than the Garmin unit.

Should have google a bit... What a disappointment.

I mean it does have new features like wifi and live traffic but I really cannot understand how you remove great features from a +10 years old unit.
I know all the software has been redesigned for Android base platform but thing such as:

Skip the next N waypoints (only allows skipping the next one).
Change destination to any waypoint in the route (let's say I want to split the itinerary in half).
Adding custom POIs with custom icon (it's limited to half a dozen symbols, so pretty useless).
Managing phone calls, sms, etc (all phone management features have been removed).
Music playback (none of this).

All of this is now gone and surely not due to hardware limitation as specs are very similar to the Zumo.

The Zumo XT seems to be way more evolved and with a lot of more features.

Also I usually plan a route through a list of waypoints and let the GPS find the best route.
They must have broken the route algorithm because now the 550 seem to be much more obsessed in finding all short cuts even if that means getting you out of the main road into tiny and narrow streets just to save 5 meters or a few seconds (this one really annoys me).

Used basecamp in the past but I actually plan on desktop with Tyre which exports to every know file formats in planet.

Not planning to upgrade the satnav unit every time there's a new model so I plan to keep it for a few years.
But truthfully I'm not seeing myself happy with the 550 for much time, so should I drop the 550 and go for the Zumo?