Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
pangasuis
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Re: regretting buying the zumo xt

Post by pangasuis »

eyup, thanks everyone.

so i tryed ur advice Jfheath with getting voice to work and ur right its fine if i set my device up like that and not missing the first step of the journy, i had voice commands the whole time i was out today along with speedlimit and which lane to be in wen on motorway/duel carrageways which it has never done before.

anyway ill come back with all my details wen i have more time to go threw them and right it all down.

thanks again
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Brilliant.
Once you have the hang of it, you will like it. It is an impressive bit of kit.
Thanks for letting us know.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ib12
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

I stopped using Bascamp years ago when I had another Garmin. Just come back to Garmin from Tomtom as I think the mapping is better and as with both Sat Navs I use MyRouteApp for downloading routes and tracks. It's customisable for both Garmin and Tomtom and can download routes straight from my phone to the Zumo. Basecamp is too awkward to use so started using a program called Tyre this was updated to MyRouteApp and being web based you can access yours and other peoples routes. Just a thought. 😉
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

The original Tyre, updated, is still available here. It's still free to use, unlike MyRouteApp, although IIRC it only runs on Windows.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
ib12
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

colirv wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:20 pm The original Tyre, updated, is still available here. It's still free to use, unlike MyRouteApp, although IIRC it only runs on Windows.
MyRouteapp is still free unless you opt for Gold version. The free version is quite comprehensive but not as customisable.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

A lot of people seem to like using Google, Tyre, MyRouteApp and such like. I've tried all of them to find out whether or not they deal with the particular issues that arise when using the route to Navigate with the XT, the 590 and the 595.

The answer is that they don't make exactly the same distinction between Via Points, Shaping Points and Waypoints that Basecamp and the XT make. This can have some undesirable consequences when following a particular route using any of the Zumos with the Trip Planner App.

However, that is not to say that they are not useful planners. If you are aware of the possible consequences, then go for it - whatever works for you. They just don't work for the way I like to use my satnav.

Having said that, the XT's Closest Entry Point feature takes away some of the issues, in that if there are problems when on the route, you can easily stop the route, restart it and select the CEP and it will pick where you are now, navigate to the closest place on the magenta line and follow the original route from there. I found that this feature sometimes produced odd results, which I believed to be due to not allowing if U-turns. However, this may have now been fixed. I tested it with v5.90, but I didn't re-test it with v6.10. When I tried to get it to fail a couple of times after installing v6.20, It wouldn't oblige. So that it promising, but not conclusive.
Last edited by jfheath on Sat May 15, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

ib12 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:22 pm
colirv wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:20 pm The original Tyre, updated, is still available here. It's still free to use, unlike MyRouteApp, although IIRC it only runs on Windows.
MyRouteapp is still free unless you opt for Gold version. The free version is quite comprehensive but not as customisable.
Yep, you're right!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
pangasuis
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by pangasuis »

hi again everyone and once again thanks for ur help.

so i emailed garmin about not being abil to use express to install my map to my PC from my device and they have just got back to me saying they have updated it and it now works so im about to try it and see. it will be nice to have the same map on my pc for wen i use basecamp.

iv followed some of ur advice and im getting used to basecamp alittle bit now but it still manages to annoy me with the little things that make it hard work to use sometimes but im getting there.

again thank you all :)
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Latest Express resolves the issue
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

sussamb wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:01 pm Latest Express resolves the issue
Sadly not! - I have a case open with Garmin at the moment.