Garmin zumo xt crashes basecamp

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Silky Sixpack
Been liked: 1 time
Belgium

Re: Garmin zumo xt crashes basecamp

Post by Silky Sixpack »

And what, if I want to keep the POI files in my - in my case - Navigator 6 ?

I've cut&pasted them to a folder on my laptop, and for sure, Basecamp started up correctly now and found and communicates correctly with the Navi 6. What happens if I put the POI files back on the Navi 6 ? Does Basecamp freeze again, or is it just a one-time Basecamp start-up issue ? Many thanks in advance !
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

My understanding is that the issue of an XT crashing Basecamp on startup was unique to the XT. In that case it's apparently caused by an incompatible Redlight/Safety Camera POI demo file. So, for an XT one only needs to delete the Cyclops POI file.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Silky Sixpack
Belgium

Post by Silky Sixpack »

Well @Breezly, I've tested it in the meantime. By the way, the new 2021 BMW Navigator VI - I am told - is a Zumo XT in a Navi 6 casing, so it would still fit the older BMW holders.

Removing all the .gpi files from the POI folder on my Navi 6 indeed solved the problem of Basecamp freezing upon startup. But it caused another problem :roll: : I also lost the connection between the Navi 6 and my BMW K1600GT, iow. navigation did not show up anymore in the dashboard menu, and I couldn't do anything navigation-wise with the wonderwheel, when I inserted the Navi 6 in it's holder. I noticed, one of the .gpi files I removed had a filename different to the others. All the others had a country-name in them, like "BeluxCyclopsSample.gpi" (Belux = Belgium+Luxembourg). One other file however had another name : "D0743030K.gpi". So, I figured this might be Garmin's way of customizing the Zumo XT into a BMW Navigator VI. So, I put that one file back in the PIO folder of the Navi 6, and... voilà, now I have Basecamp working properly AND the K1600 menu working properly as well, navigation-wise.

Now, I just hope that, as I put back REAL Cyclops.gpi files (note : the files that come on the Navi 6 device are "Sample" files), the Basecamp problem does not come back. Anyone out there with experience on this point ?
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@Silky Sixpack: As far as known, you should be safe if you put back all other files of the POI folder, except the demo Cyclops files (all files with '(name)CyclopsSample.gpi)!

Just as you said - these are demo files which expire after 3 or 6 month, didn't know exactly...

I don't know, if your Navigator IV also have this - but it seems, that the problem on the Zumo XT was either a defective Cyclops sample file or the circumstance, that the Zumo XT already has the normal Cyclops files also installed! Cyclops is a free add-on for the Zumo XT, at least in Europe...
If there are some files in the POI-folder, which are named like '006-D0698-00.gpi' or similar - these are the 'real' Cyclops files and you could use them without problems...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Silky Sixpack
Belgium

Post by Silky Sixpack »

Hi, @Rofor , I didn't get that far yet :-), I am still finding my way around the Navi 6+. For now, I only have that D0743030K.gpi file in my POI folder. Thanks for the hint on the "real" Cyclops files... if any problems, once I get to those, I know who to shout for :-) !
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Todays screen shot from Basecamp for PC
21 May 2021
Basecamp 4740.jpg
Basecamp 4740.jpg (13.41 KiB) Viewed 2329 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.