How do I delete an incorrectly installed map on my XT?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Danedo
United States of America

How do I delete an incorrectly installed map on my XT?

Post by Danedo »

I downloaded and installed OSM Topo North America on basecamp and transferred it to my Zumo XT. Problem is it installed on the XT partially and even saved as “Juarez,MX”. I need to delete this because when I try to reinstall it I get an error saying “map already installed”.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: How do I delete an incorrectly installed map on my XT?

Post by simoncrewe »

Danedo wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:35 pm I downloaded and installed OSM Topo North America on basecamp and transferred it to my Zumo XT. Problem is it installed on the XT partially and even saved as “Juarez,MX”. I need to delete this because when I try to reinstall it I get an error saying “map already installed”.
Depending where you downloaded it, internal memory / sd card , find the file with you XT connected to your PC & delete it.
Danedo
United States of America

Post by Danedo »

I used file explorer to do that. Found the map and deleted it but it still shows up in myMaps in the XT. I’m having the same issue with waypoints. I downloaded a gpx file that apparently had all of someone’s waypoints saved also. Deleted all routes, tracks, AND the waypoints folder in file explorer with the XT connected......still there! It’s new and I wouldn’t mind doing a factory rest so I held the power button for 20 seconds like the instructions say but it’s all still there. This is like a bad dream. Lol
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I installed OSM maps direct to the XT. I put them in the 'Map' on the memory card - the file was called gmapsupp.img.

In this case it would be just a case of using File Explorer with the XT connected by USB to delete that file.

I have just used Maps->Install Maps in Basecamp to install a very small area of OSM N Carolina maps onto the XT. It created an img file on the memory card in the Map folder - alongside my other OSM maps.

Just delete that file and it is gone.

As ever, restart your XT, make sure the map has gone from My Maps and then give the XT a cold restart. Ie hold the power button down until the screen changes to invite you to press the red OFF button. Then start it up again.

Don't ask me why. I don't know. I've just noticed that sometimes two restarts are required before some changes actually come into effect. That may not be the case, but if I ever suspect anything odd happening, that usually fixes it. Unless it is one of the XTs little 'bugs'. In which case nothing fixes it. Not even...... No, never mind.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.