Zumo 550 Lifetime Updates

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
prescaj
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Zumo 550 Lifetime Updates

Post by prescaj »

Hello to all. I used to be a member of the older forum but I see that is now defunct so I've re-registered here and It's good to see that it's full of lively and informative discussion.
I've owned a Zumo 550 for many years and bought the Lifetime Mapping feature in the days when new maps would fit directly onto the Zumo and when the maps got too big (Western Europe) I managed to use the cloning method to put them on to an SD card including changing the file names as necessary. That's worked well and I've successfully navigated around Europe using Mapsource to set way points and to drop the little man from Google Maps into the road to have a look around at the views and the road surface, the latter being important when touring the Pyrenees.

Anyway, I'm rambling so I'll get to the point. I recently bought another Zumo 550(BMW) in better shape, as a backup to my existing 550 which is getting a bit crotchety, but it's on 2008 mapping and doesn't have the Lifetime Mapping feature and Mr Garmin wants about £75 to provide it. Being an adopted Yorkshireman and well used to singing the anthem," Ow Much?!" chanted ad nauseam, I'm looking at ways to get around paying up. I'm thinking of swapping the Device xml on the BMW unit for a copy of the Device xml file on the original Zumo with the latest mapping with a view to fooling Garmin Express into thinking the BMW unit is in fact the original unit. I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy as that but I'd welcome thoughts from M' Learned friends. Regards to all.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 550 Lifetime Updates

Post by sussamb »

Unfortunately that won't work :)
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Obviously being in the USA I have no idea what's available to you but a long time ago I bought a Garmin nuvi 780 from a big box chain store. It didn't come with LM and Garmin wanted what I thought was way too much. I found it of all places on eBay for 1/2 of what Garmin wanted. After 10+ yrs it still works and updates for free. Shop around the web, Garmin isn't the only game in town.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
prescaj
Great Britain

Post by prescaj »

Hi, Many thanks for that. I've scoured the Internet here in the UK but can't find a genuine Garmin Map product except from Mr Garmin himself. As I've already got a Zumo 550 and other car Garmins with Lifetime Mapping, some of which purchased new for the same price as he's asking for a Lifetime update for the Zumo, I'll give him a ring tomorrow to try to convince him that, as a long term supporter of Garmin products, he might see his way clear to giving me a discount particularly as" Lifetime" for a Zumo made in 2008 must be approaching its limit before too long. Wish me luck!
Stids
Australia

Post by Stids »

Hi Zumo users.
I have a lifetime map issue with my Australian bought ZUMO 550. The last time i used Express it informed me that map updates were available for Australia and New Zealand but instead of the install updates link I got a purchase link, for new copies of the updated maps.
I have spoken to Garmin and they told me that the US & EU maps are produced by Sensis, where the Aus/NZ ones are supplied by HERE. This company apparently does the maps for Aus?NZ as a single map, rather than the area's states the sensis ones use. I was told that my 550 is now too old to cope with the new HERE maps, even with the SD card fitted.Perhaps it's a memory thing?
I have another 550 that was bought in the EU and that does still do updates for the UK & Ireland with no problems.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Are there any ZUMO 550 users on here that are in Australia or New Zealand?

Thanks for your attention, any help / advice most welcome.... :shock:
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Sounds like more of a file format, than file size issue.
I'm honestly surprised that maps for the US and EU are still in a usable format for the older units.
I've been using OSM maps in my SP2820 for years now. It may be a bit lacking in the address database, but at least the roads are up to date.
I'd imagine it won't be too many more years and I'll be using OSM maps in my 550, if I'm still using it, as my XT is en-route.
Stids
Australia

Post by Stids »

Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't understand why the file format would have changed between updates. The current Australia NewZealand maps run fine on my unit, have used in both countries "City Navigator Australia & New Zealand NT 2021.3- HERE"

I find it strange that Garmin Express offers me Purchase maps instead of update maps.

Could my ZUMo have corrupted files that are blocking the lifetime map updates?
prescaj
Great Britain

Post by prescaj »

Have you tried cloning the 550 identity onto an 8gb SD card and opening the card in Garmin Express and then see what updates are offered?
Stids
Australia

Post by Stids »

Hi prescaj,

Not tried that; what would be the best way to clone my 500 identity?

I do have an 8 gb card, how do I clone onto it to try this method?
prescaj
Great Britain

Post by prescaj »

Here we go:

Format an 8gb sd card and make a new directory called Garmin.
Plug your satnav into the computer and open it as a drive on your computer where you’ll find a .xml file. This file contains the zumo’s identity and current situation. Copy that .xml file to the Garmin directory on the SD card. Now disconnect the satnav and open Garmin Express. This method fools Garmin Express into thinking the card is your satnav. It should then give you details of updates available. If it still talks about purchasing the I think there’s a fault in the .xml file - always assuming your satnav has lifetime updates and you need to talk to Mr Garmin again. If it gives you the option of updating without paying then update onto the SD Card. If that works I can the take you through the process of renaming some of the files on the card to get it to work in the satnav.