Installing map to PC

sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Installing map to PC

Post by sussamb »

Note a device doesn't have to be plugged in to install the map to your PC. If the device is listed in Express that is sufficient.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Quite right - thankyou.
It just has to be plugged in to register the device in the first place.
I'll correct my post above.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

I also noticed this weekend as I worked with GE, when Express updates, the history of previously connected devices is erased.
Last week after I updated to 7.4.1. on my desktop, my 550 and sp2820 were no longer listed. I connected and re-registered my 550, then connected my XT, registered it and proceeded with downloading updates. Later in the week GE updated to 7.4.2. and the device listings were empty once again.
Just an observation.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I've not seen that, Express remembers all 9 of my devices.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I'm confused. The problem is that Express will install to the device but the option is gone to install to the PC so please help me understand how Express still fits into getting the map to the PC.

Edit: I also don't understand the references to using Express without a device connected. It doesn't appear to be able do anything without one.

Edit 2: I dawned on me that I may not be clear that my goal is to get the map copied from the device to the PC for use by BaseCamp.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Peobody wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:07 pm I'm confused. The problem is that Express will install to the device but the option is gone to install to the PC so please help me understand how Express still fits into getting the map to the PC.

Edit: I also don't understand the references to using Express without a device connected. It doesn't appear to be able do anything without one.

Edit 2: I dawned on me that I may not be clear that my goal is to get the map copied from the device to the PC for use by BaseCamp.
The option for Express to install to the computer is ONLY gone for XT devices. Other Zumo and Nuvi devices will allow Express to show the install on computer option.

Again, with a different device (not a Zumo XT) registered to Express, it will show install options, including install to the computer.

The posts by other users just above are trying to show an alternative, allowing you to install the maps on your computer from the Garmin cloud. Someone suggested you can copy files, or a folder, from the XT to the computer - I don't own an XT so I don't know.

I have never seen the behavior of Express "forgetting" the devices that were added to it. There is a Devices folder in Program Data - Garmin - Core Services. Each time I have updated my Express version, it takes a moment for it to find all of my devices, but they are all listed without requiring me to physically attach them. JUST A GUESS - all of my devices are registered with Garmin, so PERHAPS the program is checking for registered devices.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:25 pm The posts by other users just above are trying to show an alternative, allowing you to install the maps on your computer from the Garmin cloud. Someone suggested you can copy files, or a folder, from the XT to the computer - I don't own an XT so I don't know.
This would be great if I knew what files to copy to the PC and how to tell BaseCamp to use them. Interestingly, the device shows numerous maps installed but when I use a file explorer on the PC to navigate to the devices file system I can only find one map file (.img). It resides in the \Map directory along with several tiny .gma and .unl files. The filename of the .img tells me that it's the map that I need in BaseCamp but AFAIK BaseCamp can't use a .img file.

I don't have access to an older model GPS to try that route.

Dazed and confused in Charlotte, NC.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp can use a .img file but it must be on a removeable drive, so a sd card, memory stick or virtual drive. BaseCamp will then read the file from there.

Note Garmin map files on recent devices can be in numerous places depending on the device. The main map file will be in the hidden .system folder, and will be named gmapprom.img

There may be another one in the Map folder, and possibly some on the sd card, if one is installed.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

sussamb wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:07 pm BaseCamp can use a .img file but it must be on a removeable drive, so a sd card, memory stick or virtual drive. BaseCamp will then read the file from there.
Cool! How do you tell BaseCamp to use that map file?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

It just will and will be selectable in the maps list in BaseCamp.