New Firmware

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: New Firmware

Post by sussamb »

Flyboy65 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:12 pm Sussamb, tried deleting the current.gpx file as you suggested and I still get the error message. Any other thoughts?
Strange. You don't use a Mac do you? If so ensure the trash is emptied. Also if you have a sd card installed is there also a current.gpx on the card?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I have no experience of this particular issue, but I can make a few suggestions.

1). Clear out your imported routes from the Zumo screen. Apps->Trip planner->saved trips->3 bar menu and delete all trips in there.
2) With USB connected, delete temp.gpx and current.gpx
3) Start up the Zumo by unplugging the USB cable

Then try connecting the USB cable again and transfer a route. See if that works.

If not, a reset might be required.

If you have any tracks that you want to keep, take a copy because this process will delete them. It will also delete any BT and Wifi settings.

On the zumo:
Show the map, tap the speedo button. On the new display, press and hold the circular speed display. hold for 10 seconds.
In the next menu select Clear all user data.

See how that helps. Recently I have had a few oddities - eg things not working properly or keypresses being registered without me being near the screen. Usually after an update. A reset has cured whatever was going wrong.
If you talk to support, it is one if the first things that they get you to do.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

Firmware 5.90 and firmware 6.10 both create a broken current.gpx. You can just ignore Basecamp message, though you cannot use the data in the current.gpx until garmin publishes yet again a bugfix.

edit: it appears that the XT isn't always creating broken current.gpx files. This seems to be depending on certain routes in the memory of the XT, probably routes imported from tools other then Basecamp. Routes which were exported by fw 2.90 without any problems, but with 6.10 result in a corrupt file.
Last edited by mzeist on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Thought I was going crazy, as I can see the tracks but not waypoints / routes. I'll guess tracks are not stored in the current.gpx folder?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No they aren't
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No problems with 6.10 and current.gpx here on XT. If you haven't tried the reset that I described earlier, then it is worth a shot.

Temp.gpx contains the defined waypoints and the routes that were transferred from Basecamp during the last USB session - plus any that were trasnferred earlier, but have not yet been imported by Zumo.

Current.gpx contains all of the current declared Waypoints and routes that are in the list of saved routes. Current.gpx seems to be able to recreate itself under certain circumstances. Not sure how or when.

Note that once a route has been imported it cannot be imported again if another session of transfers from Basecamap has taken place.
Last edited by jfheath on Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

current.gpx is a one way copy of what is in internal inaccessible memory. On boot up any other gpx files are merged into that inaccessible memory and a new current.gpx is written

What I've never looked at is whether the rewriting of current.gpx happens always on boot up or only if the internal memory has been updated with other gpx files.
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

Based on the timestamp of the file, it is created every time the device connects to usb.
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

say, i see how to display all tracks, groups of tracks, but how do i choose to display 1 track. ??
it use to be an option to display, along with setting color and other things, (yes i see the set color)
I usually show a track, then navigate over the track, so both are displayed.

just updated maps, and software this morning. (using garmin express for all, and not in the gps using wifi) thanks for your time.
trying to start a track, say start to finish, then it gives me a straight line, ummmmmm
sigh, this doesn't seem good....sits at calculating at 99% for a long time. then ready to navigate, then straight line, drive to end.
Attachments
20210322_051607.jpg
20210322_051607.jpg (113.1 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
20210322_051550.jpg
20210322_051550.jpg (119.96 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

should I do a full reset ?? I have backups of the tracks and routes that were on it, I think. didn't have a ton, because I was testing it out compared to my rider 40/400. no coms, or anything connected, just the phone application, and garmin express