Version 7.4.1

lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Re: Version 7.4.1

Post by lkraus »

I've been messing with this for about a day and a half, but I could not leave this stupid thing alone.

In internal memory I found 47 files in the hidden .System/SID directory, totaling 4.47GB. An assortment of .sid, .unl and .gma files, with the same filename usually used with two or three of those extensions. I loaded a dozen or so of the *.sid files into a text editor and every one had clear text at the top referring to old CNNA maps, going back to 2018 (North America NT 2019.20). Googling a bit, it seems these may be maps related to traffic trends and Foursquare. The associated .unl files are (backup?) unlock codes for the maps, and the .gma files authenticate the unlock codes.  I had deleted everything in the .System/Map directory yesterday. 

I used a utility (https://imageusb.en.uptodown.com/windows) to make a image backup of the entire internal storage, and deleted all 47 files in the SID folder. Usable free space increased to 5.01GB.

I ran Express, the SDcard was recognized and the new map installed on the SDcard without issue.

Still ended up with 2.3GB in 19 new files in the SID folder and 93MB more in the internal Map folder. Internal free space is 95.4MB. I may have skipped an option to put more on the SDcard, but this works for now.

Feeling a little cocky, I tried to also use Mapsource to transfer USA OSM TOPO (almost 9GB,http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-osm-topo-routable) , but discovered Mapsource apparently has a 4GB limit on a single map file. MapInstall took care of it (slowly), automatically splitting it into three files. With all three activated in Mymaps, the Zumo treats them as one. Both maps now work perfectly!

My assumption is that when the bulk of a new CNNA map goes on the SDCard, there are still many files that have to be installed to internal memory. When there was no room for those files, Express errored out.  I still place the blame for the whole hassle on Garmin, since those old files should have been deleted by earlier versions of Express during previous map updates. 
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Just a note of caution. If you select maps that overlap in myMaps you may find you get various errors. You don't imply this is the case but if it is I wouldn't advise keeping more than one map selected.
lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I'm aware of that. I don't use the City Navigator and the OSM maps at the same time. I can select all three OSM maps to give country-wide routing because they do not overlap each other.
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

lkraus wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:48 pm This new Express does not give me the option of installing anything to the SD card. ..................So, you are right, it's not either/or. For this version of Express, so far, it's neither.
MapInstall should allow you to install selected map segments to the device, or to the SD card. Not at the same time, but one then the other. No overlapping segments please.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6