Hello from the Yorkshire Dales

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
prescaj
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Hello from the Yorkshire Dales

Post by prescaj »

Hi All,
I'm new to this group but I was a member of the previous version. I have the good fortune to live on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales with instant access to mile upon mile of good, quiet roads and excellent scenery; it's a biker's paradise. I'm the wrong side of 75 but, at the moment, still on the right side of the grass. My riding style is best described as "steady" and I abide by to maxims: "Remember, everyone else on the road is out to kill you" and "You always meet large oncoming traffic on a blind bend". I've owned Garmin motorcycle sat navs since the early days of that brick known as the streetpilot 2620 and I've even got the remote control for one of those in my box of essential Garmin Goodies.

I have two Zumo 550s at the moment, having acquired the latest a couple of days ago on FleaBay as a backup for my original on the basis that they're a cracking robust machine and Mr Garmin is not making them any more. I use Mapsource for routing as I've never been able to get my head around Basecamp; the latter seems to to try to be too many things to too many people. If there's a way to save individual routes to individual files on the computer using Basecamp, I've never found it. We're hopefully going to the Pyrenees and the Picos again in September, Covid 19 mutations permitting and I've already done my precise routing and Places of Interest even down to identifying the best patisseries on our overnight stops in French territory using Trip Adviser and making them way points on our route. I'm not really that keen on our French cousins but they do make a mean pain au raisin, especially fresh from the bakery early in the morning before a good ride out. Regards and safe riding to all.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: Hello from the Yorkshire Dales

Post by Stu »

Hi and welcome to the forum

Lovely part of the world you live in and only a short ride away from me 8-)
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Hi and welcome, I'm not quite as old as you, but I can trump the 2620 as I had one of the Streetpilot 3's. The latest XT I have is in another world compared to the SP3, but I learned a lot about using a GPS from it.

Yorkshire Dales is a lovely area, I used to frequent them when I lived in Accrington, some very happy memories exploring the roads, especially around Kettlewell.
DBMG
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by DBMG »

Tis truly a lovely part of the world you live in and not too far away from me being from Newcastle way. Often have a ride around North Yorkshire. Some great tea rooms in Yorkshire as well.
Snurrepus
Norway

Post by Snurrepus »

You're lucky living in Yorkshire Dales.
The British Honda Varadero union had many meetings there, and I have visited a lot of them.
The favourite is Tan Hill inn, but now I don't like the place any more.
Last two times we have visited Hawes and Hardraw, staying at The Green Dragon.
Hopefully we'll be able to visit again this September, even if this year's meeting will take place in Wales.
Honda Varadero XL1000VA 2008
Zumo 660
prescaj
Great Britain

Post by prescaj »

Yes, we have some tremendous roads and many are in pristine condition due to the Tour de France and the Tour de Yorkshire and the fact that the milk tankers have to be able to get to some remote locations. Some of my favourite stretches are:

Pately Bridge to Masham via Lofthouse and Leighton Resevoir.
Ilkley to Hawes via Burnsall, Threshfield, Kettlewell, Buckden, Hubberholme and Oughtershaw.
Grassinton to Stainforth via Kilnsey, Arncliffe, Litton, Halton Gill then over the tops down through Silverdale to Stainforth.
Over the Coal Road from Garsdale station to Cowgill, Dent, Deepdale, and then down Kingsdale to Ingleton.
Askrigg over Cross Top to Muker or Askrigg over Flow Edge and Long Band to Grinton and Reeth.

I can't give any road numbers as they don't have them as they're all single track although they are metalled roads.

As you'll probably have gathered we're not out for speed but rather getting away from the crowd and enjoying the views.

Welcome to the Yorkire Dales!
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

@prescaj have you got any gpx files of those routes you can share?
prescaj
Great Britain

Post by prescaj »

Yes, I’ve got GPX files which I’ll upload from my laptop. If you think it’s best I’ll start a new thread entitled “Yorkshire Dales”?
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

prescaj wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 am Yes, I’ve got GPX files which I’ll upload from my laptop. If you think it’s best I’ll start a new thread entitled “Yorkshire Dales”?
Yes start a new thread if you like

You could post them in the UK Routes
Snurrepus
Norway

Post by Snurrepus »

prescaj wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:18 pm Yes, we have some tremendous roads and many are in pristine condition due to the Tour de France and the Tour de Yorkshire and the fact that the milk tankers have to be able to get to some remote locations. Some of my favourite stretches are:

Pately Bridge to Masham via Lofthouse and Leighton Resevoir.
Ilkley to Hawes via Burnsall, Threshfield, Kettlewell, Buckden, Hubberholme and Oughtershaw.
Grassinton to Stainforth via Kilnsey, Arncliffe, Litton, Halton Gill then over the tops down through Silverdale to Stainforth.
Over the Coal Road from Garsdale station to Cowgill, Dent, Deepdale, and then down Kingsdale to Ingleton.
Askrigg over Cross Top to Muker or Askrigg over Flow Edge and Long Band to Grinton and Reeth.

I can't give any road numbers as they don't have them as they're all single track although they are metalled roads.

As you'll probably have gathered we're not out for speed but rather getting away from the crowd and enjoying the views.

Welcome to the Yorkire Dales!
After checking my triplogs from 2013, 2016 and 2018, I see that I have done all 5.
Amazing landscape - even for a Norwegian. ;)
Honda Varadero XL1000VA 2008
Zumo 660