Basecamp routes to Zumo XT?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
GeorgeC
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Basecamp routes to Zumo XT?

Post by GeorgeC »

simoncrewe wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 am
treps wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:24 am Many thanks. This is really helpful. I am nearly there.
It all worked, file transferred, etc. However, I am unasked to find the route on the XT... I am being thick but where do I find the newly transferred file?
It is not in Favourites, nor History, nor anywhere... Thanks again.
TripleThreat719 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 pm I use a Mac, so this may not apply to you.
Hope this helps.
Select 'Apps' from main screen, then select 'Trip planner', then select top left corner 3 horizontal lines & finally 'import' you select which routes you want.
Not very intuitive is it ?
Thanks for this, had me stumped. Sorted now.
jcp
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by jcp »

I can get Basecamp to recognize the XT and I can drag and drop to move the routes to the Zumo but I can find no way to 'eject' the Zumo. Talked to Garmin tech and he said to just pull the USB cable. I did and it didn't snafu the computer or the Zumo but I don't like doing this. Many thanks!
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Your Zumo works in mtp mode so there is no need to do an eject, that is only needed for mass storage mode devices
jcp
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by jcp »

sussamb wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:19 am Your Zumo works in mtp mode so there is no need to do an eject, that is only needed for mass storage mode devices
Thanks for this……eases my concern about just ‘pulling the plug’.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

treps wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:23 pm Hi - I am trying to load favourite routes from a Nav IV now on Basecamp to the Zumo XT. No success.
Basecamp sees the XT, its maps, etc. However, when I select a route to upload to the device, Basecamp just goes into a loop and nothing happens.
Any help appreciated. Cheers
A few thoughts.

When you first plug in the XT to a PC running Basecamp, it takes quite a while to read the information that it wants to get from the XT. Especially the first time. A green line next to 'Internal memory', will progress from left to right. Until that finishes, you may get a '?' in a yellow circle. Any attempts to transfer before that green line has moved across and the ? has disappeared, will fail silently.
Transfer temp.jpg
Transfer temp.jpg (5.03 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Make sure that the route you are transferring has the motorcycle profile (best set to fastest time) and has been recalculated before transferring.

Make sure that your route hasn't been transferred as a track from your Nav IV (Nav 4 ??) If it has, it may be trying to process thehundreds or thousands of very close together points that make up a track. I'm not sure how reliable the footprint icon is in this situation. But certainly if it is a track, it will not have the motorcycle icon in the bottom left pane of Basecamp. You need the route, not the track.

When you have got this sorted, ask the question about lost transferred files on the XT. It does something different from how it transferred files on the 590, 595 and probably the Nav V and VI. (if you don't get a response, PM me to alert me).
Last edited by jfheath on Tue May 04, 2021 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

sussamb wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:19 am Your Zumo works in mtp mode so there is no need to do an eject, that is only needed for mass storage mode devices
@Susamb is absolutely correct. In the early days, transfer to external devices involved the computer 'buffering' or caching the data rather than sending it immediately, and then sending a whole chunk at once (Mass Storage mode). It helps to improve the performance. But it meant that if you pulled the plug, the computer would not have sent the last lot of data to the device, so it would be lost. MTP was designed to keep media files fed with data while they were being played (MTP=Media Transfer Protocol). The computer doesn't hang on to the data once the request to send it has been made. It sends it immediately, so there is no problem pulling the USB plug. Wait for the green progress bar in Basecamo to complete though. See my previous post for the image.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.