help

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
tonestan
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

help

Post by tonestan »

So, I have just got a 595 after using a 345 for a few years. At £500 I hoped it might be better - but so far I think not. First, it says the first word of all instructions twice - why? 'At at the next junction turn right' is very annoying! Second, I can't seem to have a mute button on the screen as I can with the old 345, neither can I have a cancel waypoint button which I had on the 345. Cant get music to play through the unit from my phone. Spotify doesn't work.

I have contacted Garmin who, after lots of 'start it and restart it' advice eventually said - if you don't like it take it back to the shop. They also had no idea about the items I had on the 345 which I cant get on this 595. Eventually it came down to 'Ah well, you have a Sena 10U headset, not compatible that'

So overall, very unhappy. Now, does anyone on here have any good ideas how I can solve these issues, especially the 'stammer' on the instructions. I am willing to try anything!

T
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: help

Post by Stu »

The cancel waypoint is called skip and can be accessed through the menu button on the bottom

As for the first word twice issue that's a strange one! I'm guessing you have tried a factory reset and reinstall the software?
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

I just wonder if the "stammer" is actually built in for the benefit of those using headsets that don't always pass the first word of an instruction. Something to do with VOX ?? :?:
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
tonestan
Wales

Post by tonestan »

Thanks both for the replies. I cannot find 'skip' except through 'change route' - is that right? Good to know its there, but to be honest it was much easier with just an icon on the map which I just touched on the 345 and it deleted the waypoint, but I have learnt something!

Good thinking on the VOX thing, I will try and check the settings to see if that helps. I only have voice activation on the headset for phone calls though, and I need that. I will check though.

At least I have two sensible answers which is two more than I got from Garmin or Sena!

T
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I ended up just turning off the instruction on my 590 but still have the sound there for the phone!

I am going by my 590 here so not sure if its different to the 595

try settings >> map & vehicle >> map tools and see if there is skip in that menu and put a tick next to it then on the map screen clicking the menu button ≡ should hopefully bring it up
tonestan
Wales

Post by tonestan »

No, there is no skip on the 595. The more I look at it the more the 595 is s backward step in terms of useability. Really poor in many ways in my opinion, made much worse by extraordinarily poor service and response from Garmin. Ah well, I must do more research next time and I suspect if I do I will come up with a different product to purchase.
Outsider
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by Outsider »

The 595 manual (I have a 590) says it's under Map Tools >> Change Route; "allows you to detour or skip locations in your route". Top of page 12 in the one I just downloaded. Odd there's no dedicated button though.

Let us know if it is in there and how usable it is?
- Outsider

My occasional adventures: www.outsider-adventure.blogspot.co.uk
My other passion: www.droidbot07.blogspot.co.uk
tonestan
Wales

Post by tonestan »

Yes it's in change route, but would mean about 4 touches of the screen to action - it was just 1 on the 345. I still cannot find anyway of switching off the guidance instructions on the sat nav, all it says is change the volume on the headset - bit pointless when you want to listen to music! Again, that was 1 touch on the 345. Just wish someone from Garmin would see this stuff and maybe find a solution, but I am not sure they are interested frankly, just happy to sell units.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can always make suggestions here http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
Outsider
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by Outsider »

tonestan wrote:Yes it's in change route, but would mean about 4 touches of the screen to action - it was just 1 on the 345.
Ah ok, with you. A pain indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Outsider

My occasional adventures: www.outsider-adventure.blogspot.co.uk
My other passion: www.droidbot07.blogspot.co.uk