Greetings

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
Sysiphus67
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Greetings

Post by Sysiphus67 »

Hello everybody, I'm Tony. I've had a Zumo 595 since I got my Triumph Trophy in 2018. Had GPS since the 90s when we tried trail riding with Compaq iPacs hooked up to Magellan receivers and running OS maps on Memory Map Navigator. Happy days.. Then came GPSIII, IV, Street Pilot 3, Quest and finally the Zumo and with it, BaseCamp. These for my bikes and parallel to these a few in-car systems from Toyota and Jaguar. I think it's fair to say I'm OK with GPS (I can't stop saying GPS, I know it's satnav now).

Despite all this, the Zumo/BaseCamp combo has had me confused, lost, frustrated and angry. I've not used it much as I've not done much riding but last year I found a guide to BaseCamp from a US based group and some YouTube videos from a lovely chap in Derbyshire that put me on the right path. This season (if we have one!) I'm determined to crack this and be as comfortable with my Zumo as I was with the pre-BaseCamp units.

I honestly think the Quest was the best unit I've used. That must surely be down to me and my lack of knowledge, twenty years of development MUST make for a better user experience, surely?

Anyway, sorry for the essay. Perhaps I should just have gone with a simple "hi" ;)
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Re: Greetings

Post by Stu »

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
SteveA
Has liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by SteveA »

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

You sound a bit like me. I've always been addicted to GPSs from the early days. I feel naked if I have to go anywhere without one now.

Im sure you will find this an excellent Forum.
Sysiphus67
Great Britain

Post by Sysiphus67 »

Cheers pal, yes it seems like a very friendly place. I'm looking forward to learning and maybe even loving BASE CAMP!
Sysiphus67
Great Britain

Post by Sysiphus67 »

👍
kernowing
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Sysiphus67 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:50 pm Cheers pal, yes it seems like a very friendly place. I'm looking forward to learning and maybe even loving BASE CAMP!
Stick with Basecamp fella, I hated it when I started but now with the help of forum members and Youtube vids, I can plan and stick to a route quite well.
Welcome to the Forum.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I also hated bascamp when I first used it and made use of a lot of video's and I am getting there with it
SteveA
Has liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by SteveA »

Same here with Basecamp however, if you persevere and use You tube etc to learn it, you will find it's a great tool.
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Welcome to the forum! I had lots of problems in the beginning with Base Camp too. Easily sorted out over time. The 595 also has its quirks but since I've been here I've gotten pretty good with it. Be sure to meander through that section too, loads of very good, helpful info there.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A