SD Card questions

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
suzukizone
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: SD Card questions

Post by suzukizone »

danham wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:35 pm What rbentnail said. Having my pre-planned routes on the SD card allows lots of flexibility and prevents confusion on long trips. Quick example: on a card you can sort the order routes appear in and load only the ones you need each day into active memory on the 660. This saves a bunch of scrolling through route names that can be slow and confusing.

Let me know if you want details on doing this.

-dan
Thanks danham, will save this info. The only routes I can think I'd save would be when I try to plan a route to ride with my MC buddy. This is actually his old unit that he gave me when he upgraded to a newer model. In past I have just followed him,....if I could keep up, he is way better a rider than this old geezer is. Now thinking we could each create a part of a longer route with the following rider picjing up the "scent" and being the lead on the finale section. We live pretty far apart.

If I know a regular route, I don't need a GPS, just when I want to create a new adventure.

Thanks, again,

DH
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

SteveA wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:47 pm Yes please Dan.

I've now put my maps into main memory and removed the SD card. I needed to just use the UK instead of the whole of Europe in order to get the maps to fit.

I read on here that just having an SD card fitted slowed the Zumo 660 down.. if that's not the case I'd like to try out your idea Dan.
I have not noticed any slowdown and I have some maps and virtually all of my routes on an SD card. Of course, routes take up very little room -- they are text files.

Here's my method. Create routes in BC and export them one by one, not to the 660 or card, but to a folder on my computer. Then mount the card (or zumo with card inserted) and set up folders on it. Drag each route to the card. Right now I have all my Nova Scotia routes from a 2016 trip in their own folder, for example. I named it "zzz Nova Scotia" so that it will remain at the bottom of the list and not confuse me when importing routes from the card into active memory on the 660.

Routes not in a folder appear in alphabetical order, so I make sure that only the ones for my current trip appear that way, outside of folders and named with numbers to force correct order, like "1. HOME to Pisgah Inn." I import only each day's routes to the 600. That makes it a lot easier to select from the list while out on the road. Each night I delete them from the 660 (leaving them on the card of course) and import the next day's routes.

Hope this helps,

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
suzukizone
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by suzukizone »

Yes please Dan.

I've now put my maps into main memory and removed the SD card. I needed to just use the UK instead of the whole of Europe in order to get the maps to fit.

I read on here that just having an SD card fitted slowed the Zumo
Thanks danham, I haven't been riding as of late, life & snow sometimes get in the way. House chore kill all other time laeft over. Will look into both your posts re:card & try to add to my repertoire when chances arise. A lot of my rides are just throwaways, repeats of routes I've done dozens of times. Use these as psycho therapy. But from time to time I do like to try something new. That's when I believe I can put your mini-tutorial to use.

Stay safe, thanks again.

DH, or what's left of him anyway.